I have studied quite a few web pages on installing Brother on Linux. These are some of the web pages that I studied:
Brother DCP-7040 includes a printer and a scanner. I was able to set up both the printer and scanner on Debian. Also, I have installed and set up the printer on Slackware. But setting up the scanner on Slackware has been a challenge. At the end of this article, I will state my questions about the scanner.
These are the steps that I took to install and set up the printer:
1) Start CUPS service:
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.cups
2) Download the lpr and cupswrapper (rpm files) from http://welcome.solutions.brother.com.../en/index.html
3) Change directory to where the downloaded packages are, and use the utility rpm2tgz to convert the files to tgz format:
Equivalently, it might be a good idea to type: rpm2tgz *
4) Install the tgz files using installpkg:
5) Add the Brother DCP7040 driver by applying this command:
6) Open http://localhost:631
in your browser, and add printer using the correct driver (Brother DCP7040).
Good news: Printer worked!
Bad news: The following steps did not lead to scanner working.
7) Download the rpm packages for scanner from http://welcome.solutions.brother.com.../en/index.html
8) Change directory to where the downloaded packages are, convert rmp packages to tgz format using rpm2tgz:
9) Install the tgz packages using installpkg
10) Change directory to /usr/local/Brother/sane and run
11) Edit /lib/udev/rules.d/80-libsane.rules
(Add the following two lines before the line "# The following rule
will disable ..."):
# Brother scanners
12) Change directory to /opt/brother/scanner/brscan-skey and run
As mentioned, scanner still does not work.
When I type in sane-find-scanner, no scanner is listed. All lines that appear are commented out.
When I press the Scan button on the xsane interface, it says "Failed to start scanner: Invalid argument"
1) Any recommendations on how to install and set up the scanner?
2) As mentioned, the scanner and the printer are in one box. What is the
device name for such a scanner?