i finally got linux installed on my system!!! whew. After successive failures with fedora 4, suse 10 and ubuntu, finally i saw success with mandrake linux. i couldnt get my hands on the latest vesion, so i had to make do with ver 9.2
anyhow, here are a few things i need help with....
1. i need to update my gtk version. how do i do that? i tried to install adobe acrobat reader, and i got a message saying that i need a gtk version > 2.4. same goes for installing themes for gnome.
2. i can access my windows ntfs partition after i installed captive ntfs (http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/)
. but the site says that i should also be able to write to the ntfs drive, but everytime i try to do so, i get a write protected error. how do i resolve that?
3. i am using the firefox browser, but it is not the default browser in linux. i did a bit of searching, and saw that i can change it from the gnome->preferred applications list, if i change it to 'firefox %s'. but when i do so, the settings do not get applied. the mozilla site database says that i need to have the 'symlink the firefox script must be placed in one of the default PATH's'. how to do i do that? (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser
4. when browsing the web, the fonts that i see on screen are not smooth. they are quite rugged. how to i change that apperence?
5. for instand messaging, i use aMSN for MSN messenger, which works with no problems. but yahoo messenger for unix, which i got from the yahoo site does not seem to work. the program opens, but does not connect. is there any alternative messenger client i can use? (i've also tried gaim, but with no luck).
thats it for now i guess...