LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
WuZp
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
How to format ubuntu 7.10 and change to windows xp


hello everyone, i'm wuzp from m'sia. i already install kubuntu 7.10 in my laptop. but now, i want to format back to windows . please help me. how to do it.

Last edited by WuZp; 12-17-2009 at 07:02 AM.
 
Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728
Boot from the Windows install CD and follow the directions.

First, you may need to delete all the partitions so that the Windows installer sees you disk as empty. You can do this with any of various partitioning tools, or from any Linux live CD.

Why not keep Linux and setup dual-boot?
 
Old 12-17-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
WuZp
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
how to delete the partition? can teach by step.
 
Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuZp View Post
how to delete the partition? can teach by step.
Some options:

1. Boot from a Linux Live CD, open a terminal, and run fdisk or cfdisk or maybe parted or gparted.

2. Get the Gparted standalone bootable CD:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

3. Use a commercial tool like Partition Magic.


Did you try booting up from the Windows install disk? Perhaps you do not need to delete any partitions first....
 
Old 12-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
TITiAN
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: NRW, Germany
Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux with XFCE and packages from "testing"
Posts: 377

Rep: Reputation: 46
Usually you can delete all the partitions with the windows installer, and create one Windows partition for the whole HDD (or, for example, 80% of the hard drive - then you could install Linux on the remaining 20%). At least with the Windows XP installer...
 
  


Reply

Tags
format, ubuntu, windows, xp


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
change output format for df baddah Programming 3 04-21-2008 08:08 AM
Change Passwd Format shipon_97 Linux - Newbie 1 01-09-2007 08:13 AM
change boot ubuntu/windows grub The_guy1 Linux - Newbie 2 04-15-2006 01:12 PM
How to Change Windows without affecting GRUB or Ubuntu?? crash_override_me Ubuntu 5 10-19-2005 11:17 AM
use vi to convert linux format to windows format intolinux Linux - Software 2 12-10-2003 10:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration