LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
ler0nldb2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: 15
How to force log on at boot


For the first time, when I boot my pc, Ubuntu asked me to set up user name and password. Now every time I boot my pc, Ubuntu bypasses the login and takes me right to the desktop.

This is scary if my pc is lost. The exposure of my data to strangers would be devastating.

I am the only user of this pc. How can I:

1. Force login at boot time
2. Set up as super user

Thanks.
 
Old 09-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
colucix
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Bologna
Distribution: CentOS 6.5 OpenSuSE 12.3
Posts: 10,509

Rep: Reputation: 1978Reputation: 1978Reputation: 1978Reputation: 1978Reputation: 1978Reputation: 1978Reputation: 1978Reputation: 1978Reputation: 1978Reputation: 1978Reputation: 1978
1. You can disable automatic login from System --> Administration --> Login Window --> tab Security and uncheck the "Enable Automatic Login" check-box.

2. There are valid reasons why Ubuntu developers did not permit root login. I admit it is really annoying to digit your password every time you use sudo for administrative commands, but take in mind that you can stick with your system administrator's privileges for an entire shell session if you use the command:
Code:
sudo -i
every subsequent command will be run as if it was preceded by sudo and you have not to type your password again and again.
 
Old 09-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
j_jerry
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Distribution: fedora 11
Posts: 318

Rep: Reputation: 46
Eventhough not recommended you can login as root from gnome login screen with the command 'gdmsetup' .

Type command gdmsetup , in the Security tab check 'Allow Administrator Login'
 
Old 09-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
ler0nldb2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by colucix View Post
1. You can disable automatic login from System --> Administration --> Login Window --> tab Security and uncheck the "Enable Automatic Login" check-box.

2. There are valid reasons why Ubuntu developers did not permit root login. I admit it is really annoying to digit your password every time you use sudo for administrative commands, but take in mind that you can stick with your system administrator's privileges for an entire shell session if you use the command:
Code:
sudo -i
every subsequent command will be run as if it was preceded by sudo and you have not to type your password again and again.
I found my check box under the general tab and unchecked it. Shutdown and was forced to log in. Just as I expected.

Thank you!
 
Old 09-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ler0nldb2 View Post
... This is scary if my pc is lost. The exposure of my data to strangers would be devastating. ...
You must be joking. Your password will NOT protect your data. About everybody can get to the data if they have physical access to it.

If that is your big worry, have a look at encrypting your files and/or filesystem.
 
Old 09-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
ler0nldb2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
You must be joking. Your password will NOT protect your data. About everybody can get to the data if they have physical access to it.

If that is your big worry, have a look at encrypting your files and/or filesystem.
Yes. Data is my biggest worry! And I thought login would take care of it (NOT)
Is there a script that will automatically encrypt my folders/files during the shutdown process and another to decrypt them during the login? Or do I have to remember to encrypt my folders/files every time before shutdown and decrypt them after login, as I have been doing with Windows?

Thanks
 
Old 09-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
Other people can advise on filesystem encryption; I'm not familiar with it on Linux.

Under Windows there are programs that create virtual encrypted disks; PGP is an example. You mount the disk when you want to use it and it will automatically unmount when you shutdown. No need to use your 'complicated' way.

I did a quick search and truecrypt uses the above virtual encrypted disk principle as well and is available for both Windows and Linux.
 
Old 09-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
ler0nldb2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
Other people can advise on filesystem encryption; I'm not familiar with it on Linux.

Under Windows there are programs that create virtual encrypted disks; PGP is an example. You mount the disk when you want to use it and it will automatically unmount when you shutdown. No need to use your 'complicated' way.

I did a quick search and truecrypt uses the above virtual encrypted disk principle as well and is available for both Windows and Linux.
Thanks for the suggestions. I found a link in the Ubuntu forum about PGP, Truecrypt and EncryptFS here. EncryptFS seems to be what I am looking for.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
openSUSE 11.1 How can I force Log Off for inactive user session? Wasted.Daze Linux - Security 1 06-22-2009 05:26 AM
why are boot.log and boot.log.1 getting updated but no reboot has taken place lynkster Red Hat 2 01-10-2009 11:17 PM
Force Log Rotation Errors. Please Help!! paul sanz Linux - Newbie 1 04-14-2008 07:34 AM
How can I force other users to log out? WarrenWright Linux - Newbie 2 02-06-2004 11:27 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration