LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
hashim abdul azeez
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
How to connect internet in ubuntu 6.10 installed.


Hi experts

I installed ubuntu 6010 in my computer.(windows xp also can run)
in ubuntu.i dont know how to connect internet. firefox icon clicked
but not connecting. i have high speed broad band connection.

what to do? help?
 
Old 04-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
[KIA]aze
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Windows XP
Posts: 146

Rep: Reputation: 16
-Do you have a DHCP connection? (i.e automatic IP address)
-Do you connect over an ethernet cable (RJ45) or a USB modem?

-Can you ping an IP address of a website or not? (if yes, then it's a DNS problem)
[Google's IP addresses for example:
209.85.129.104, 209.85.129.147, 209.85.129.99
Under windows, you can use the DOS command "nslookup" to get IP addresses of websites]

Last edited by [KIA]aze; 04-07-2007 at 03:04 PM.
 
Old 04-07-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
bigjohn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2002
Location: UK - South Coast.
Distribution: Ubuntu (usually the latest....)
Posts: 2,672
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashim abdul azeez
Hi experts

I installed ubuntu 6010 in my computer.(windows xp also can run)
in ubuntu.i dont know how to connect internet. firefox icon clicked
but not connecting. i have high speed broad band connection.

what to do? help?
I agree with [KIA]aze it does sound like your install hasn't made the connection to your service provider - I also, always have to configure my system manually, because my provider gives me a static IP address, yet my elderly aunts' system found her cable modem first time.

It may well depend on how you are connected to the interweb my system uses a modem/router, which I also suspect has something to do with my connection not being found automatically.

regards

John
 
Old 04-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
old_geekster
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: Walla Walla, WA
Distribution: Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 - Final
Posts: 19

Rep: Reputation: 0
I had a similar problem to what you describe, when I began using Edgy.

I went into "Networks" (System/Administration/Networks)and found that the correct network connection was not checked. I am using a "Wired" connection.
 
Old 04-08-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
hashim abdul azeez
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
ok. i have automatic ip address
its usb modem
broadband
i know the ip no as you shown me lie google ip no.
but i donno what to do with that.

where to insert or write that to connect.
pls help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KIA]aze
-Do you have a DHCP connection? (i.e automatic IP address)
-Do you connect over an ethernet cable (RJ45) or a USB modem?

-Can you ping an IP address of a website or not? (if yes, then it's a DNS problem)
[Google's IP addresses for example:
209.85.129.104, 209.85.129.147, 209.85.129.99
Under windows, you can use the DOS command "nslookup" to get IP addresses of websites]
 
Old 04-09-2007, 03:23 AM   #6
[KIA]aze
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Windows XP
Posts: 146

Rep: Reputation: 16
If it's a USB modem, I don't know if I can help you.
I had one once, but it was before I started using Linux, and it was already problematic with Windows.
Usually they come with installation software for Windows, so it might be difficult, altough not impossible to get them to work under GNU/Linux.

I would recommend you to get an ethernet modem if possible. It's really easier to use under Linux.
Personally, I even switched my internet provider because of that and bought my own ethernet modem just to be sure.

However, a quick search on the internet shows that it is possible to use some USB modems under Linux.
But if you are new to linux, it might be pretty hard for you and you should be really motivated if you want to do it.

If you got the USB modem from your internet service provider, ask them first if they offer Linux support.
Otherwise I hope somebody else can help you with that. :/
Start by giving the name/type of your USB modem and eventually even the internet service provider. Maybe someone has exactly the same. (mine was cegetel in France)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Concerning the ping test, all you have to do is open a terminal and enter:
Code:
ping 209.85.129.104
for example.
If you have an internet connection, it should display a list of ping times, otherwise it will say something like "conection timeout" or such.

The DNS is something that converts a URL like www.google.com into an IP address like 209.85.129.104.
It happened to me once that I could go to websites by entering their IP, but not by entering their URL.
But I think in your case, the ping test will probably fail.
It's more likely that the problem comes from your USB modem.
 
Old 04-09-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
hashim abdul azeez
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
good day
thank you Kia
i use speedstream
my isp is etisalat in u.a.e (dubai)
the router have ethernet connection jack
unfortunately my system dont have LAN or ethernet card.

you are right. let me contact my isp whether they support linux or not.
then i come back to you.

thanks for your kind help



Quote:
Originally Posted by [KIA]aze
If it's a USB modem, I don't know if I can help you.
I had one once, but it was before I started using Linux, and it was already problematic with Windows.
Usually they come with installation software for Windows, so it might be difficult, altough not impossible to get them to work under GNU/Linux.

I would recommend you to get an ethernet modem if possible. It's really easier to use under Linux.
Personally, I even switched my internet provider because of that and bought my own ethernet modem just to be sure.

However, a quick search on the internet shows that it is possible to use some USB modems under Linux.
But if you are new to linux, it might be pretty hard for you and you should be really motivated if you want to do it.

If you got the USB modem from your internet service provider, ask them first if they offer Linux support.
Otherwise I hope somebody else can help you with that. :/
Start by giving the name/type of your USB modem and eventually even the internet service provider. Maybe someone has exactly the same. (mine was cegetel in France)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Concerning the ping test, all you have to do is open a terminal and enter:
Code:
ping 209.85.129.104
for example.
If you have an internet connection, it should display a list of ping times, otherwise it will say something like "conection timeout" or such.

The DNS is something that converts a URL like www.google.com into an IP address like 209.85.129.104.
It happened to me once that I could go to websites by entering their IP, but not by entering their URL.
But I think in your case, the ping test will probably fail.
It's more likely that the problem comes from your USB modem.
 
Old 04-10-2007, 08:02 AM   #8
hashim abdul azeez
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2007
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
i asked my isp they said so far there is no way to help.becas they supply speedstream router (its siemens product) with installation cd come with only windows xp mode only
 
  


Reply

Tags
connection, internet


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Couldn't connect to internet after installed Fedora 6 indyszeto Linux - Networking 5 04-21-2007 06:19 PM
Installed Ubuntu: won't print, won't connect to Net! Alan Salisbury Linux - Newbie 5 12-18-2006 12:19 PM
Trying to wireless connect to internet. Just installed Ubuntu 6.10v fgrijalva Ubuntu 7 11-09-2006 10:37 PM
Suse 10.1 Just Installed; Can't Connect to Internet BrunoBB Linux - Networking 4 08-23-2006 11:43 AM
installed redhat 9, can't figure out how to connect to internet. nate2000 Linux - Newbie 1 11-11-2003 08:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration