LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   how to clean your hard drive in linux mint (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-to-clean-your-hard-drive-in-linux-mint-4175423496/)

krazywomen 08-22-2012 04:52 PM

how to clean your hard drive in linux mint
 
how to clean your hard drive in linux mint

mennohellinga 08-22-2012 05:17 PM

Remove the power source, press the power button for 10 seconds, open the computer, remove the hard drive, dust it off and put it back. Has nothing to do with the OS. You might want to clean the fan too, those things always accumulate lots of dust.

chrism01 08-22-2012 05:39 PM

That made me smile ... :)
I'm assuming the OP meant at the OS / SW level, but we'd really like more info first.

guyonearth 08-22-2012 05:46 PM

LOL...there's no need to "clean" your hard drive. You can delete temporary files from within your browser. There's really nothing else you need to "clean".

SharpyWarpy 08-22-2012 08:07 PM

@ mennohellinga: You have me in stitches with that answer. I nearly laughed my head off reading that. So cool - made my evening! Thank you!

John VV 08-22-2012 09:27 PM

just remember that after you remove the dust that
you DO NOT put it in the dish washer to "clean"
now in some cases you CAN put a keyboard in the dish washer - but allow for 6 weeks to dry


however what do you mean by "clean" a drive
there is DBAN ( google it)
there is "shred" - most os's have this built in
there is " dd" - also built in

I like the dd option to make a very LARGE random file

minty33 08-22-2012 09:58 PM

not sure what you mean by clean. do you mean securely erase or get just rid of tmp and cache files ect...?
if it was along the lines of what JOHN VV was suggesting then dd is the tool to erase securely but it takes forever on a whole drive. it can also do individual files. use like (i.e "dd if=/dev/random of=drive_file_to be erased"). i use bleach bit to clean and wipe things like caches and all those temp type of files. bleachbit is automatic and seems to do a good job not sure how secure the wipe is but i don't care for the purpose i use it for. really all this is probably irrelevent as others said tho. there is also a wipe command in terminal but like dd it takes forever and the default is like 18 time or something and really is only neccessary if your selling cpu and want to securely wipe a drive or certain files that you don't want the person that buys it to recover.

SharpyWarpy 08-22-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John VV (Post 4761663)
just remember that after you remove the dust that
you DO NOT put it in the dish washer to "clean"
now in some cases you CAN put a keyboard in the dish washer - but allow for 6 weeks to dry

LOL. I dabble in electronics and I sometimes clean boards with warm soapy water, rinse and sit on something outside in the sunlight for several hours to ensure the chips are properly dehydrated. So far I've had no problems with this method. Only thing to watch for is the surface mounted components can come off if scrubbed too hard. If in doubt leave it dusty because static electricity is always a potential destroyer of sensitive chips and handling too much without a static strap will eventually pop something. I personally don't use a static strap, I've developed the habit of touching the cabinent on exposed steel sections firmly before grabbing a board or whatever and installing/uninstalling. Just my 2 cents worth of experience in case somebody reads through this thread and is wondering how a piece of electronics might be made to look better safely.

krazywomen 08-30-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazywomen (Post 4761500)
how to clean your hard drive in linux mint

no that wasnt the right way to clean a hard drive

krazywomen 08-30-2012 04:24 AM

net work
 
why is it every time i go into linux i always get the pop up on network whats going on with linux?????????

John VV 08-30-2012 05:18 AM

Quote:

why is it every time i go into linux i always get the pop up on network whats going on with linux?????????
please explain ???
that dose not make any sense

Soadyheid 08-30-2012 05:38 AM

@ John VV

Quote:

now in some cases you CAN put a keyboard in the dish washer - but allow for 6 weeks to dry
Are you using dishwasher tablets? They're caustic and likely to kill the keyboard! I once ultrasonically cleaned the keyboard for a DEC VT220 which has multiple flexible membrains for the keyboard decode matrix The tracks aren't etched like normal PC boards, they're spark deposited. The ultrasound cleaned the keyboard all right - the tracking on the membrane was completely gone! :doh:

We used to have to ask people who spilled tea/coffee on their keyboards, "Do you take sugar?" If they did, the keyboard was junk. Sugar is carbon which conducts electricity.

A cheapo keyboard costs about 6.00. Get a new one!

Play Bonny! :hattip:

cascade9 08-30-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mennohellinga (Post 4761514)
Remove the power source, press the power button for 10 seconds, open the computer, remove the hard drive, dust it off and put it back. Has nothing to do with the OS. You might want to clean the fan too, those things always accumulate lots of dust.

How do we clean the platters?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharpyWarpy (Post 4761683)
LOL. I dabble in electronics and I sometimes clean boards with warm soapy water, rinse and sit on something outside in the sunlight for several hours to ensure the chips are properly dehydrated. So far I've had no problems with this method. Only thing to watch for is the surface mounted components can come off if scrubbed too hard. If in doubt leave it dusty because static electricity is always a potential destroyer of sensitive chips and handling too much without a static strap will eventually pop something. I personally don't use a static strap, I've developed the habit of touching the cabinent on exposed steel sections firmly before grabbing a board or whatever and installing/uninstalling.

Same here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soadyheid (Post 4768169)
A cheapo keyboard costs about 6.00. Get a new one!

If its dead, yeah....but if you can clean it, why not?

I spose if you buy those ultra-cheap 'have the liespan of a gnat' keyboards just getting a new one might seem like a better idea than if you buy good keyboards.

segmentation_fault 08-30-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soadyheid (Post 4768169)
A cheapo keyboard costs about 6.00. Get a new one!

The (not gaming) keyboard I use costs about 50 euros, so I am extra careful with it.

Soadyheid 08-30-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

If its dead, yeah....but if you can clean it, why not?
OK, OK, If it's dead you can't harm it any more. If sticking it in a dishwasher makes it work, it's a bonus. But as a practice with electronic equiptment I wouldn't advise it.

Play Bonny! :hattip:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.