LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   How to allow only 3 users from three diff network to use printer? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-to-allow-only-3-users-from-three-diff-network-to-use-printer-814001/)

meandsushil 06-14-2010 02:39 AM

How to allow only 3 users from three diff network to use printer?
 
HOW TO ALLOW ONLY 3 USERS FROM THREE DIFF NETWORK TO USE PRINTER?


WE HAVE THREE NETWORK

192.168.0.0

172.16.99.0

10.28.250.0

I know samba will be use here, right?

but can configue this via samba?



and this has to be configured on machine where this printers drivers has been installed right?

Do I need to configure all in this "/etc/samba/smb.conf" file?


Printer name is HP Laser Jet M1005 MFP.

vikas027 06-14-2010 02:44 AM

I believe in the hosts allow parameter in /etc/samba/smb.conf you can give the IP of all the networks.

And in the valid users parameter, you can give the names of the users.

Post your doubts and probable attach your smb.conf here for further help.

TB0ne 06-14-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meandsushil (Post 4002776)
HOW TO ALLOW ONLY 3 USERS FROM THREE DIFF NETWORK TO USE PRINTER?

WE HAVE THREE NETWORK
192.168.0.0
172.16.99.0
10.28.250.0

I know samba will be use here, right? but can configue this via samba?

As others have asked in other threads, please stop using all capitals. It's considered very rude, and please write clearly. A brief Google search turns up:

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/w...es_Using_Samba

which walks you through how to set up and share a printer via Samba. These:
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/...4/smbconf.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...s-sharing.html

show you how to restrict access. Again, a quick Google search could easily answer these questions, along with reading the information in the smb.conf file.
Quote:

and this has to be configured on machine where this printers drivers has been installed right?
No, the printer drivers need to be installed on the client machine. Samba just shares the printer to the network.
Quote:

Do I need to configure all in this "/etc/samba/smb.conf" file?
Printer name is HP Laser Jet M1005 MFP.
Obviously, since Samba is what's sharing the printer out to the rest of the world.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.