1. How do you change permissions? Step by step please.
2. How do you delete files as root? I know how to become the su.
3. What do you mean "go to /var/lock"?
4. How do I delete the file when I get there?
1) To change the permissions, use "chmod" from the root (su) prompt.
2) "rm /directory/where/file/is/filename.ext
3) "cd /var/lock"
4) "rm filename" (This assumes you're in the folder/directory where the file is)
But I think you just want to do the following:
1) Get to a prompt
2) su yourself
3) "cd /whereever/the/file/is"
4) "rm filename.ext"
As root, you can pretty much do anything you want. The commands you want to look into are "chmod" (which changes read/write permissions), "chown" (which changes the owner of the file), "rm" (which deletes files/directories), and "cd" (change directory) :-D
You can always "man COMMAND" to see the help file, or google it to see what people wrote online. "chmod" settings can be a bit tricky at first....Here's a web link to help you out (http://wsabstract.com/script/script2/chmodcal.shtml
And of course you could just be lazy and ask in a forum over here. ;-)