LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   How do I play DVDs? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-do-i-play-dvds-351341/)

NightMICU 08-08-2005 08:39 PM

How do I play DVDs?
 
Greetings,

Newbie here, running SUSE Linux 9.3. I'm glad to be out of the Windows world and haven't had too many huge problems with Linux yet, but I still have a few questions -- and, sadly, a few things that I have to switch back to Windows for.

How would one go about playing back DVDs in Linux? I've tried all of the players that came with SUSE and they all display error messages that I really don't understand. I recall having to download a DVD decoder for Windows, which I paid for. Are there similar options for Linux?

I have downloaded all of the Multimedia patch groups through YOU, which took care of my MP3 playback issues -- but still no DVDs.

Thanks!

-Benjamin :)
...bored Paramedic
......insomniac geek

aysiu 08-08-2005 08:47 PM

http://developers.videolan.org/libdvdcss/

NightMICU 08-08-2005 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by aysiu
http://developers.videolan.org/libdvdcss/
Yes, that's one of the error message suggestions that I could not really figure out. What do I do once I get there? It's all kind of vague. I'm sorry.. total newbie here.. but I think I am doing okay for my first week. <g>

Thanks..

-Ben

DJOtaku 08-09-2005 08:56 AM

I'm not sure with Suse, I use Fedora, but you want to download some rpms that have filenames like

libdvdnav
libdvdcss
libdvdplay

or something like that. For Fedora you can use yum if you connect to the right repositories. Perhaps you can find some repos for Yast that contain these codecs. By the way, if you're in the US you're technically breaking the law by watching DVDs since the studios didn't provide you with the codec. However, don't worry, it's not like Homeland Security will be knocking on your door.

NightMICU 08-09-2005 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DJOtaku
I'm not sure with Suse, I use Fedora, but you want to download some rpms that have filenames like

libdvdnav
libdvdcss
libdvdplay

or something like that. For Fedora you can use yum if you connect to the right repositories. Perhaps you can find some repos for Yast that contain these codecs. By the way, if you're in the US you're technically breaking the law by watching DVDs since the studios didn't provide you with the codec. However, don't worry, it's not like Homeland Security will be knocking on your door.

Thanks for the info...

Have not seen those files in any of the update programs (well, only one I am familiar with at this moment is YOU), but I have found them on the web. Can't entirely figure out the process of obtaining them, though.. it mentions Subversion, which I suppose is a distributer? Really can't figure it out.

As for the legal aspects -- how is it illegal in the US if you can purchase DVD player software right off of the shelf?

Thanks :)

-Ben

sm1else 08-09-2005 01:52 PM

Music and video support in the SuSE 9.3 packages has been crippled (apparently due to licensing issues) so that programs such as XMMS, Xine, Kaffeine, etc. cannot play all the formats they normally would. Most noticeable was the broken MP3, AVI, and DVD (both encrypted and unencrypted) support.

There is however an alternative repository (the Packman repository) you can install from which supplys the fully working versions of the packages.
You need to add the following repository to Yast via the 'Change Installation Source' option:
Add...HTTP
server name: packman.iu-bremen.de
directory name: suse/9.3
Ensure that this repository is at the top of the list using the Up button.

Next, remove xmms, xine, etc. using yast. When it prompts to 'install more' or 'finish' select 'install more' and choose to install these packages again, while there you should be able to install libdvdplay, libdvdcss as well. I cant remember the exact package names but also look for avi-file, and w32-codecs which will give support for avi, wmv, and asf
The reason for removing first is because the different packages have the same version number so yast would otherwise think its already installed and would refuse to upgrade

Btw subversion is a versioning system so you can keep track of each and every revision of a group of files and directories, it be used across a network which allows you to obtain the most recent files used by the developers of a program.

Im not entirely sure on the legal aspects but as far as i can tell its mainly about money and control. The manufacturers of DVD players have payed a fairly hefty fee for the codec and the ability to allow their customers the use of it.

reddazz 08-09-2005 03:00 PM

If you are going to play encrypted dvd's on Suse, then uninstall all xine packages and kaffeine and then install the ones from packman.

DJOtaku 08-09-2005 06:26 PM

If you buy the software that decrypts the dvds then those people have paid the license to the appropriate people. If you use the linux one, under the digital millenium copyright act, you are guilty of subverting copy protections. I say @$*@ them - especially if you legally purchased your dvds.

KimVette 08-09-2005 07:14 PM

Re: How do I play DVDs?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by NightMICU
Greetings,

Newbie here, running SUSE Linux 9.3. I'm glad to be out of the Windows world and haven't had too many huge problems with Linux yet, but I still have a few questions -- and, sadly, a few things that I have to switch back to Windows for.

How would one go about playing back DVDs in Linux? I've tried all of the players that came with SUSE and they all display error messages that I really don't understand. I recall having to download a DVD decoder for Windows, which I paid for. Are there similar options for Linux?

I have downloaded all of the Multimedia patch groups through YOU, which took care of my MP3 playback issues -- but still no DVDs.

Thanks!

-Benjamin :)
...bored Paramedic
......insomniac geek

If you had used the search feature of this messageboard (above) and entered "suse dvd" you'd have found your answer Yesterday 09:39 PM (EDST)

Don't take this as a flame or insult; I'm posting this to help you (and other newcomers) find answers more quickly.

luiz1 08-16-2005 05:13 AM

Help on playing DVD's in linux SuSE 9.3
 
First i installed all the " Multimedia Option Packs" the 4 of them
from Online update in yast

the I resolved dependencies trying to install libxine1.1.1.0
by removing
xine-lib
from yast Note: when removing xine-lib it's crucial that you remove the other package
called "kaxtv" or something similar, or else you will get unresolved
dependencies.

this install all the packages you got from http://www.links2linux.de/
or where ever you can get them.

xine will then install without problems.

you have to change DMA settings to ON or something higher.
through yast hardware configuration utility. ( or you will get jumpy DVD playback)
this is what I installed

libdvdcss2 /to unscramble ecrypted DVD's
libdvdread /as the name implies
libxine1
libxine-aa
libxine-dvb
libxine1-xvmc
libXvMC
speex
W32codec-all
xine-ui

plays DVD's fine.

Vgui 08-16-2005 11:25 AM

I installed xine-lib and xine-ui (from their site, from source, but I imagine your Yast or whatnot has it). Then to playback commercial DVDs (that I actually bought) I installed libdvdcss. Then I switch a few options in xine so it knows what drive is my dvd drive, then:
Code:

xine -p dvd:/
Don't mount the drive or anything like that (xine does it for you), just insert the DVD.
That worked for me at least.

NightMICU 08-16-2005 11:34 AM

Re: Help on playing DVD's in linux SuSE 9.3
 
Howdy,

Thanks for the post. Followed a similar set of instructions posted earlier and haven't had very many problems. Been using Kaffeine for playback (I think I deleted Xine and never put it back), I'm blown away by the crispness of the image. NEVER looked that good using legal (i.e., paid for them at CompUSA) decoders in Windows.

Every now and then, I'll get some sort of weird error message.. especially when I hit a bad skip in the disk. But they're usually pretty easy to resolve -- the movie Kung Fu Hustle reported that the soundcard was busy when it began to play the actual movie (previews were fine), but that was resolved by starting at Chapter 2 and rewinding to near the start of Chapter 1. Go figure..

Now, all you boys and girls, be sure that you use a good surge protector with an input/output for your phone line! Was dispatched to a house last night that was struck by lightning... half the county 911 system arrived to find one burnt out PC. Fried, baby!

-Benjamin
....bored Paramedic
.......insomniac geek
Quote:

Originally posted by luiz1
First i installed all the " Multimedia Option Packs" the 4 of them
from Online update in yast

the I resolved dependencies trying to install libxine1.1.1.0
by removing
xine-lib
from yast Note: when removing xine-lib it's crucial that you remove the other package
called "kaxtv" or something similar, or else you will get unresolved
dependencies.

this install all the packages you got from http://www.links2linux.de/
or where ever you can get them.

xine will then install without problems.

you have to change DMA settings to ON or something higher.
through yast hardware configuration utility. ( or you will get jumpy DVD playback)
this is what I installed

libdvdcss2 /to unscramble ecrypted DVD's
libdvdread /as the name implies
libxine1
libxine-aa
libxine-dvb
libxine1-xvmc
libXvMC
speex
W32codec-all
xine-ui

plays DVD's fine.

with

DJOtaku 08-16-2005 12:23 PM

at work my monitor died due to lightning - so be sure to have one!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.