LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
TheCorporation
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Posts: 54

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How do I open a file in Ubuntu?


Hi,

I'm brand new to Linux (been a Windows user for years) and I'm trying to install TorGuard VPN in Ubuntu which is on a virtual machine.

I've downloaded two files "TorGuard_unix_4_0_1" and "TorGuardPRO.zip". The first file is the VPN and the second file is the instructions.

I will like to know how to open these files if anyone could be of any help? In Windows one simply hits "Open" but in Linux when I do this it gives me the run about.

Any advice will be appreciated thanks
 
Old 07-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
T.Boyle
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 20
The second file is easy just open a terminal and type
Code:
unzip TorGuardPRO.zip
Or from your file manager, right-click on the file and select extract

The TorGuard_unix_4_0_1 file doesn't have any extension so I suggest running the file command to see what it is

Code:
file TorGuard_unix_4_0_1
post back the output you get
 
Old 07-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
jdkaye
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 4,771

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
You realise that
a. TorGuard is not free (as in beer; I'm not sure about "as in speech")
b. There are free (in both senses) alternatives.
If you do a search with Ubuntu's package manager for packages with "tor" at the beginning, you'll find a few.
Just saying... what you do is your business.
jdk
 
Old 07-07-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
TheCorporation
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Posts: 54

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Boyle View Post
The second file is easy just open a terminal and type
Code:
unzip TorGuardPRO.zip
Or from your file manager, right-click on the file and select extract

The TorGuard_unix_4_0_1 file doesn't have any extension so I suggest running the file command to see what it is

Code:
file TorGuard_unix_4_0_1
post back the output you get
Here is what I got....

sphinx@ubuntu:~$ unzip TorGuardPRO.zip
unzip: cannot find or open TorGuardPRO.zip, TorGuardPRO.zip.zip or TorGuardPRO.zip.ZIP.
sphinx@ubuntu:~$

sphinx@ubuntu:~$ file TorGuard_unix_4_0_1
TorGuard_unix_4_0_1: ERROR: cannot open `TorGuard_unix_4_0_1' (No such file or directory)
sphinx@ubuntu:~$

???
 
Old 07-07-2013, 01:56 AM   #5
TheCorporation
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Posts: 54

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
You realise that
a. TorGuard is not free (as in beer; I'm not sure about "as in speech")
b. There are free (in both senses) alternatives.
If you do a search with Ubuntu's package manager for packages with "tor" at the beginning, you'll find a few.
Just saying... what you do is your business.
jdk
I don't mind paying for quality.
 
Old 07-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
astrogeek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Distribution: Slackware: 12.1, 13.1, 14.1, 64-14.1, -current, FreeBSD-10
Posts: 1,953

Rep: Reputation: 727Reputation: 727Reputation: 727Reputation: 727Reputation: 727Reputation: 727Reputation: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorporation View Post
Here is what I got....

sphinx@ubuntu:~$ unzip TorGuardPRO.zip
unzip: cannot find or open TorGuardPRO.zip, TorGuardPRO.zip.zip or TorGuardPRO.zip.ZIP.
sphinx@ubuntu:~$

sphinx@ubuntu:~$ file TorGuard_unix_4_0_1
TorGuard_unix_4_0_1: ERROR: cannot open `TorGuard_unix_4_0_1' (No such file or directory)
sphinx@ubuntu:~$

???
Where did you download them to? You should be in the same directory where you downloaded them to open them that way.

For example, if you downloaded them to a directory named Downloads in your home directory, then open a terminal and type:

Code:
cd ~/Downloads
... then use the unizp command to open the zip file.

For the other file type...
Code:
./TorGuard_unix_4_0_1
... in the same directory.

You may also need to make it executable first, like this:

Code:
chmod +x TorGuard_unix_4_0_1
 
Old 07-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
TheCorporation
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Posts: 54

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeek View Post
Where did you download them to? You should be in the same directory where you downloaded them to open them that way.

For example, if you downloaded them to a directory named Downloads in your home directory, then open a terminal and type:

Code:
cd ~/Downloads
... then use the unizp command to open the zip file.

For the other file type...
Code:
./TorGuard_unix_4_0_1
... in the same directory.

You may also need to make it executable first, like this:

Code:
chmod +x TorGuard_unix_4_0_1
I'm brand new to Linux I think that is the problem

The files are all in downloads and applications as I was messing around with the files trying to get the files open.

Here is what I got for download command....

sphinx@ubuntu:~$ cd ~/Downloads
sphinx@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ unzip TorGuardPRO.zip
Archive: TorGuardPRO.zip
replace TorGuardPRO/ca10ca.crt? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: y
inflating: TorGuardPRO/ca10ca.crt
replace TorGuardPRO/ca11ca.crt? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: y
inflating: TorGuardPRO/ca11ca.crt
replace TorGuardPRO/ca12ca.crt? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename:

and.....

sphinx@ubuntu:~$ cd ~/Downloads
sphinx@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ ./TorGuard_unix_4_0_1
bash: ./TorGuard_unix_4_0_1: No such file or directory
sphinx@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ chmod +x TorGuard_unix_4_0_1
chmod: cannot access `TorGuard_unix_4_0_1': No such file or directory
sphinx@ubuntu:~/Downloads$

Last edited by TheCorporation; 07-07-2013 at 02:32 AM.
 
Old 07-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #8
jdkaye
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 4,771

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorporation View Post
I don't mind paying for quality.
Oh, I thought you were a newcomer to to Linux. If you have already tried the open solutions and found them wanting then you know what you're doing.
Apologies. Out of curiosity which ones did you try?
jdk
 
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
yancek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Ubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 4,956

Rep: Reputation: 785Reputation: 785Reputation: 785Reputation: 785Reputation: 785Reputation: 785Reputation: 785
From your Downloads directory, run the following command: ls -l, then post the output.
 
Old 07-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
T.Boyle
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorporation View Post
sphinx@ubuntu:~$ cd ~/Downloads
sphinx@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ ./TorGuard_unix_4_0_1
bash: ./TorGuard_unix_4_0_1: No such file or directory
sphinx@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ chmod +x TorGuard_unix_4_0_1
chmod: cannot access `TorGuard_unix_4_0_1': No such file or directory
sphinx@ubuntu:~/Downloads$
Are you certain TorGuard_unix_4_0_1 is in the Downloads folder or in a subdirectory within?

Just to make sure of the path of this file or directory type this from your terminal

Code:
find ~/ -name TorGuard_unix_4_0_1 -exec file {} \;
This will search for TorGuard_unix_4_0_1 starting from the root directory of your home folder and it will execute file command to determine the file type

Post back any results

Last edited by T.Boyle; 07-07-2013 at 09:42 AM.
 
Old 07-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #11
TheCorporation
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Posts: 54

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkaye View Post
Oh, I thought you were a newcomer to to Linux. If you have already tried the open solutions and found them wanting then you know what you're doing.
Apologies. Out of curiosity which ones did you try?
jdk
I am a new comer to Linux I think we got off on the wrong foot. I've used VPN's for about 4 years but only in Windows and I understand the difference in VPN quality that is all I'm saying my friend

I don't use free VPN services only payed ones for reasons I won't go into but I am grateful for your help
 
Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
TheCorporation
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Posts: 54

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
From your Downloads directory, run the following command: ls -l, then post the output.
Thank you my friend for your help

sphinx@ubuntu:~$ cd ~/Downloads
sphinx@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ ls -l
total 2152
-rw-rw-r-- 1 sphinx sphinx 12224 May 20 00:09 config_all.zip
drwxrwxr-x 2 sphinx sphinx 12288 Jul 7 00:23 TorGuardPRO
-rw-rw-r-- 1 sphinx sphinx 150377 Jul 6 20:30 TorGuardPRO.zip
-rw-rw-r-- 1 sphinx sphinx 2026873 Jul 6 20:23 TorGuard_unix_4_0_1.zip
 
Old 07-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #13
TheCorporation
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Posts: 54

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Boyle View Post
Are you certain TorGuard_unix_4_0_1 is in the Downloads folder or in a subdirectory within?

Just to make sure of the path of this file or directory type this from your terminal

Code:
find ~/ -name TorGuard_unix_4_0_1 -exec file {} \;
This will search for TorGuard_unix_4_0_1 starting from the root directory of your home folder and it will execute file command to determine the file type

Post back any results
Since I don't know what I'm doing I did it two different ways.....

sphinx@ubuntu:~$ find ~/ -name TorGuard_unix_4_0_1 -exec file {} \;
sphinx@ubuntu:~$ cd ~/Downloads
sphinx@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ find ~/ -name TorGuard_unix_4_0_1 -exec file {} \;
sphinx@ubuntu:~/Downloads$
 
Old 07-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #14
evo2
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Mostly Debian and Scientific Linux
Posts: 5,432

Rep: Reputation: 1192Reputation: 1192Reputation: 1192Reputation: 1192Reputation: 1192Reputation: 1192Reputation: 1192Reputation: 1192Reputation: 1192
Hi,

OP, jdkaye has been trying to gently nudge you in the direction that most experienced linux users would take. That being to use their package manager to install software that was packaged for them by their distribution. Downloading zip files from third party web sites and installing them by hand can be error prone, makes it troublesome to keep your installed software up to date (a serious security issue), and so on. Additionally, most often the Free software that is packaged by your distribution and is ready to install is generally of higher quality (YMMV here) than similar third party commercial products.

I think you would do well to do some background reading on your new OS before you start getting into bad habits and wasting your own time.

For a general overview see for example http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm, next you should look into repositories and package management. Feel free to ask for pointers to documentation here.

Evo2.
 
Old 07-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
yancek
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Ubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 4,956

Rep: Reputation: 785Reputation: 785Reputation: 785Reputation: 785Reputation: 785Reputation: 785Reputation: 785
Your output in post 12 from the ls -l command shows three files and one directory. Two of the files are the zip files you refer to in your initial post. I don't know if the first file "config_all.zip" was there before. What is in the directory "drwxrwxr-x 2 sphinx sphinx 12288 Jul 7 00:23 TorGuardPRO".

Last edited by yancek; 07-08-2013 at 08:08 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
when I open a video file on Ubuntu 12 - the file is stuck and screen blinks gumbsey Linux - Newbie 0 06-05-2012 02:36 PM
[SOLVED] Could not open *.rar file in Ubuntu TigerLinux Linux - Newbie 4 06-29-2011 09:03 PM
how do i open a .7z file on ubuntu 9.04 noncomputergeek Linux - Newbie 12 07-12-2010 05:24 PM
how to open rar file in ubuntu 9.10 linux.ab Linux - Newbie 1 04-04-2010 09:51 AM
how to open rar file in ubuntu linux.ab Linux - Newbie 10 03-15-2010 01:02 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration