Originally Posted by drainingthoughts
So I should back up my files I want to save
Partition the hard drive
Install Windows and Linux boot loaders
Then install linux?
1) Backup files which is of value
2) Boot Linux install cd and partition the hard drive into 2 partitions one for Windows and one for Linux
It would be better if you read one of the howtos at http://www.tldp.org
3) Don't install whole linux. Just abort after making partitions successfully.
Please set Windows partition type correctly as ntfs
4) Boot Windows Install CD. Install it in the partition made for Windows
5) After Windows installed successfully and see it starts also.
6) Then again boot Linux Install CD and install on the non-Windows partition
7) Most distros see Windows partition and offer a screen to enable boot Windows in a bootloader menu
8) First time you will need lot of help and tries.
9) The tldp.org site has few HOWTOS for installing Windows and Linux together. They would definetly help and more informative than this post.