LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
foamcuttersg1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
How do I download (upload) engrave-11.py


How do I download (upload) engrave-11.py from "Simple G-Code Generators Written in Python"? One of my home workshop project is a small engraver using a small micrometer linear table and three small steppers. It works fine with Stickfont - a free download - but I need something more sophisticated such as Engrave-11.py. When I follow the instructions from the Wiki I finish up with what I believe to be the source code and no means of generating an executable file. Assuming I am on the right forum can anyone point me in the right direction?
Regards
Ken
 
Old 07-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
irmin
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: the universe
Distribution: Slackware (modified), Slackware64 (modified), openSuSE (modified)
Posts: 342

Rep: Reputation: 62
Hi,

Quote:
How do I download(upload) engrave-11.py
How? As you download any file. Just find the download link, click right and select "save target as ..." in firefox, or use "wget <url>", ... Just kidding.

If you are searching for this python script, I found a version on the internet:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/uploads/engrave-11.py

Also note, that python programs are not compiled, but just executed. Source file and executable are the same. You will have to type
Code:
 python <py-file>
on the command line in order to execute the python-script, or make the file executable
Code:
chmod +x <py-file>
In both cases you should be able to run the python-script.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
knudfl
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Copenhagen, DK
Distribution: pclos2016, Slack14.1 Deb Jessie, + 50+ other Linux OS, for test only.
Posts: 16,276

Rep: Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154Reputation: 3154
The file is here

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/uploads/engrave-11.py
> ' Save page as ... '

The command : python engrave-11.py
... will open a nice GUI.
...

Last edited by knudfl; 07-04-2010 at 08:05 AM.
 
Old 07-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
foamcuttersg1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmin View Post
Hi,

How? As you download any file. Just find the download link, click right and select "save target as ..." in firefox, or use "wget <url>", ... Just kidding.

If you are searching for this python script, I found a version on the internet:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/uploads/engrave-11.py

Also note, that python programs are not compiled, but just executed. Source file and executable are the same. You will have to type
Code:
 python <py-file>
on the command line in order to execute the python-script, or make the file executable
Code:
chmod +x <py-file>
In both cases you should be able to run the python-script.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
Right I got that far but - and excuse my ignorance - where do I find the command line?
Regards
Ken
 
Old 07-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
foamcuttersg1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by knudfl View Post
The file is here

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/uploads/engrave-11.py
> ' Save page as ... '

The command : python engrave-11.py
... will open a nice GUI.
...
Same here! I feel stupid asking this but where is the command line to be found?
Cheers
Ken
 
Old 07-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
foamcuttersg1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Command line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamcuttersg1 View Post
Right I got that far but - and excuse my ignorance - where do I find the command line?
Regards
Ken
I think I might have found the command line in Accessories/Terminal. If this is so then am I just to type python <py-file> and/or chmod +x <py-file> into it and click return? Seems too simple but then what do I know
Thanks in anticipation of your patience
Ken
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
download/upload limiter TranceDude Linux - Software 7 10-09-2005 12:16 PM
hdd-related download problem(upload 4-5MB/s, download ~1MB/s) tine Linux - Hardware 4 09-15-2004 04:06 PM
NIC: Upload/download different Birkoff Linux - Networking 3 05-26-2004 05:53 PM
download ,upload to ftp ody1 Linux - Networking 2 11-13-2003 06:27 AM
VSFTPD - can download but cant upload. Dirt Linux - Software 1 09-06-2003 09:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration