First the NVIDIA drivers do not need to be in the root directory to be installed, but for this purpose we'll use that directory.
This is exactly what I do...
1.Open a terminal, in your window manager.
2.You need root access so type
(Enter your root password)
3. Now you should be able to move the driver file
mv nvidia.whateverversion.sh /nvidia.whateverversion.sh
4. Now you need to close out of X window type
5. Log in as root
6. Now cd into the directory you placed the file in
7. Your ready for install
8. Follow the instructions on the screen.
9. Now your installation should be done, so you need to edit your xorg.conf
While in the vi editor, scroll down to the graphics device section and change nv or vesa to nvidia (to make changes in the vi editor you need to push i for insert before any changes can be made). After you've made the change you need to save the file. To save it type
10.Logout out of your root account
11.Login as your user
12. Start X window
If you follow this, you shouldn't have any problems.
Oh back up your xorg.conf file, before you do this!
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /home/youruser/Desktop