LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
LittlePenguin
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 52

Rep: Reputation: 3
How can I search for the correct repository of my app?


Hi there.

Question: "where/how can I look for the correct repository to install X application?, let say I want to install synaptic, or google chrome, or X, I know I need the right repositories added to my sources.list.. but what are the right repositories?, is there a "repository finder" or someting like that?"

Quick question: what are the "steps" to install a particular application?

Thx.

EDIT.: Im using Debian Squeeze

Last edited by LittlePenguin; 01-20-2011 at 03:30 PM.
 
Old 01-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
AlucardZero
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: USA
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 4,822

Rep: Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610
What distro? I assume Debian-based, like Ubuntu?

If you enable universe and multiverse (Ubuntu) or contrib and non-free (Debian) in software sources, that covers 98% of apps you will ever want. For the other 2%, if they provide a Debian/Ubuntu repository, you can add it.
 
Old 01-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
snowpine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,184

Rep: Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168
What is the name of the application, and which distro (Ubuntu, Slackware, Fedora, etc.) are you using? It is impossible for me to give an answer that will cover every hyptothetical situation.
 
Old 01-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
LittlePenguin
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 52

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 3
Already edited OP, Im using Debian Squeeze RC1.

For example, if I want to install pidgin (chat client) or synaptic or open office, etc.

I know there is a way to use grep to search into the packages avalaibles in my own repository.. but I dont know what it is.
 
Old 01-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,362

Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
LittlePenguin

It is generally considered bad form to edit your post after someone has commented on it. It would be better to post the added information further down the thread.
 
Old 01-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
snowpine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,184

Rep: Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168
To install pidgin, synaptic, and openoffice in Debian Squeeze, as root:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install pidgin synaptic openoffice.org
You shouldn't have to add or edit any repositories to do so.

To search the list of available apps, you can use synaptic (once you have it installed) or the terminal command:

Code:
apt-cache search whatever
ps Some people prefer aptitude to apt-get; the syntax is otherwise the same.
 
Old 01-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
rob.rice
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Distribution: slack what ever
Posts: 998

Rep: Reputation: 167Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePenguin View Post
Hi there.


Quick question: what are the "steps" to install a particular application?

Thx.

EDIT.: Im using Debian Squeeze
from source
most of the time it's tar -xzf some.tar.tgz cd the directory just created by tar
then ./configure then make then make install
 
Old 01-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
AlucardZero
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: USA
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 4,822

Rep: Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610
To search the Debian repos, use "apt-cache search packagename" or http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages .
 
Old 01-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
LittlePenguin
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 52

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
To install pidgin, synaptic, and openoffice in Debian Squeeze, as root:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install pidgin synaptic openoffice.org
You shouldn't have to add or edit any repositories to do so.

To search the list of available apps, you can use synaptic (once you have it installed) or the terminal command:

Code:
apt-cache search whatever
ps Some people prefer aptitude to apt-get; the syntax is otherwise the same.
Thx, but I had to add some non-free and contribute links to my source file to make it work.

So, there is no way to find out what is the repository that have my app.

@lazlow I added the "EDIT", isnt enough?
 
Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
snowpine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,184

Rep: Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePenguin View Post
Thx, but I had to add some non-free and contribute links to my source file to make it work.

So, there is no way to find out what is the repository that have my app.

@lazlow I added the "EDIT", isnt enough?
Pidgin, Openoffice, and Synaptic are in the main debian repository, not in "nonfree" or "contribute":

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/pidgin
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/synaptic
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/openoffice.org

So I am confused, what is your actual question?
 
Old 01-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #11
LittlePenguin
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 52

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 3
My question is, if I want to install X app, how can I find the right repository to download from?.
 
Old 01-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
AlucardZero
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: USA
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 4,822

Rep: Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610Reputation: 610
If you enable contrib and non-free in software sources, that covers 98% of apps you will ever want and you don't have to care about which repo. For the other 2%, if they provide a Debian repository on their site, you can add it.

To search the Debian repos, use "apt-cache search packagename" or http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages .
 
Old 01-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
snowpine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,184

Rep: Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePenguin View Post
My question is, if I want to install X app, how can I find the right repository to download from?.
Code:
apt-get install foo
where 'foo' is the name of the application.

If you have a specific question I'll be happy to help you.
 
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
LittlePenguin
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 52

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 3
@Alucard thx, that answers 98% of my question

@snowpine plz read again.
 
Old 01-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #15
snowpine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,184

Rep: Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168Reputation: 1168
Let me answer your question with a question, you asked which is the "correct" repository to use--why do you think the Debian repository is "incorrect"?

In Linux we do not generally download and install applications (the "Windows way") but rather we let the package manager (apt-get or aptitude) do all the hard work.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
correct usage of grep to search a disk Completely Clueless Linux - Newbie 13 02-10-2011 01:41 AM
LXer: PPASEARCH- A tool that search and add PPA repository in ubuntu via command line LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-23-2010 05:50 AM
CVS module (in repository) user:group - what is the correct approach? xp_newbie Linux - Software 5 01-03-2008 01:28 PM
Search app for Xubuntu JulianX Linux - Software 2 03-31-2007 04:43 AM
In search of a cost-control app for 3g/GPRS - bandwidth control and limiting per app motin Linux - Software 0 09-07-2006 06:50 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration