LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   how can I prevent my laptop from suspend or hibernate when closing its lid? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-can-i-prevent-my-laptop-from-suspend-or-hibernate-when-closing-its-lid-937307/)

TroN-0074 03-30-2012 03:27 PM

how can I prevent my laptop from suspend or hibernate when closing its lid?
 
Will this work in OpenSuSE 12.1 with Gnome?
I am asking because I found it in the Ubuntu documentation site and I would like to prevent my laptop from suspend or hibernating when the lid is closed
I will appreciate all advices.

Thank you.

Quote:

Stop the computer from suspending when the lid is closed

If you don't want the computer to suspend when you close the lid, you can change the settings for that behavior. To set the computer to blank the screen, rather than suspend, when the lid is closed:
Be very careful if you change this setting. Some laptops can overheat if they are left running with the lid closed, especially if they are in a confined place like a backpack.
Open the Terminal application from the Dash.

To change the setting used when running on battery power, type this command and press Enter:
Code:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugin.power lid-close-battery-action blank
To change the setting used when running on AC power, type this command and press Enter:
Code:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugin.power lid-close-ac-action blank
There are other settings available besides "blank," such as "nothing," which causes the computer to do nothing.

uniquerockrz 03-30-2012 03:54 PM

Heyy you can install gnome-tweak-tool and find options which says what to do when laptop lid is closed. Hopefully changing them will prevent suspension on lid close.

Bigbigworld 03-30-2012 09:34 PM

If your on XP (dunno about others) go into control panel then performance and mentenance then go into the power settings. go to the advanced tab and change the when i close my lid option to; do nothing.
Problem Solved :)

If your vista, then go to control panel, then power settings. on the left should be options- including change times when computer sleeps.

TobiSGD 03-30-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigbigworld (Post 4641073)
If your on XP (dunno about others) go into control panel then performance and mentenance then go into the power settings. go to the advanced tab and change the when i close my lid option to; do nothing.
Problem Solved :)

If your vista, then go to control panel, then power settings. on the left should be options- including change times when computer sleeps.

You realize that this is a Linux forum and the OP is asking for advice when using openSuse with Gnome?

rahulkya 03-30-2012 10:56 PM

if you can see your battery icon try right click or left click on that icon and you can see preference . Then you can probably see two options one for battery and another for AC power. There is a option when laptop lid is closed. Choose blank screen .
This may help you

uniquerockrz 03-30-2012 11:25 PM

this is what I meant

http://i.imgur.com/5o7uz.png

TroN-0074 03-31-2012 09:48 AM

Well the code I had found didnt work. What extension do you have to do that @ uniquerockrz?

thank you for your response.

uniquerockrz 03-31-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroN-0074 (Post 4641413)
Well the code I had found didnt work. What extension do you have to do that @ uniquerockrz?

thank you for your response.

install gnome-tweak-tool software from YAST. There you will get an option like that

TroN-0074 03-31-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uniquerockrz (Post 4641425)
install gnome-tweak-tool software from YAST. There you will get an option like that

Thank You, Yo!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.