LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #46
wowihatevista
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 55

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddotyp View Post
Since I'm new to this forum and don't know if I can add this particular link, I'll just describe how to get it. Totally related to the problem and not self swerving.

If you want to try Ubuntu, try the word Wubi on google. Using the Wubi installer you can try out Ubuntu within Windows with no ill effects to Windows.
Ok, I just downloaded it, it finished while I was eating supper, I cant back and t told me to restart my comp in order to finish, I restarted and now I cant find where it saved to.. wtf?
 
Old 06-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #47
wowihatevista
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 55

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
ok, I just burnt the file, it only took like 4 minutes, heres a screenie, did I do anything wrong? http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2023/21263538vd5.jpg

Now what do I do? I burnt the thing onto a cd.. now when I open it on the cd it brings me nowhere, burnint it to cd didnt change anything..... what did I do wrong?
 
Old 06-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #48
aus9
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Distribution: Fedora 25 Gnome (Wayland)
Posts: 5,132

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
if you are going to burn an iso the image did not help me but see if you followed these steps?
http://www.ntius.com/faq66.asp

BTW that looks like you have to buy it? try
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4242.html
 
Old 06-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #49
wowihatevista
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 55

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus9 View Post
if you are going to burn an iso the image did not help me but see if you followed these steps?
http://www.ntius.com/faq66.asp

BTW that looks like you have to buy it? try
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4242.html
but it let me burn it, I burnt that file ono the disk. then when I go to open it.. it does the same thing as it did when it was sitting on my desktop: open that NTI cd burning program.

when I do what the first link says, It tells me the compilation can be burnt on that cd.. what I said before.

im gonna download that program. are you familiar with it? can you help me?
 
Old 06-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #50
GrapefruiTgirl
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowihatevista View Post
but it let me burn it, I burnt that file ono the disk. then when I go to open it.. it does the same thing as it did when it was sitting on my desktop: open that NTI cd burning program.

when I do what the first link says, It tells me the compilation can be burnt on that cd.. what I said before.
To clarify again:

The idea here is NOT to simply COPY & PASTE the ISO file onto a CD. This will result in what sounds like what you have now-- a CD with the ISO image copied onto it. By doing any sort of "compilation" burning process, that is what you will get: a compilation of files, copied from A to B.

Imagine this: You have a CD that you bought at the store. It is a game or something, or a Windows CD.

Now, if we were to theoretically go through the steps needed to COPY that whole CD all at once (NOT just copy the files on it, but COPY the CD as a whole item) into one giant file on your desktop, the resulting file would be a .ISO file, It is a cloned IMAGE of the CD as a whole. It is like a photocopy.

What you want to accomplish here, is the reverse: we want to BURN a WHOLE BOOTABLE CD from a pre-existing ISO IMAGE. We do NOT simply want to copy this ISO file onto a CD-- that would just cause us to have the ISO image in 2 places now: on the desktop, and on a CD. The ISO file is like an imaginary CD, or a virtual CD, and it needs to be returned to the shape and form of a round plastic CD thingy. As a ISO file, it cannot be used as is (that is outside the scope of this thread) but it must be burned back into a CD shape.

Copying it here and there by making compilations will not work; Whatever burning program you use should have a menu option ora selection called something like "Create a Bootable CD from an ISO or IMAGE FILE" and when this is selected, it should not ask you very much more than "which CD will I burn the image to" and "Locate the Image file (browse)" and that should be about it.

I don't have a Windoze machine at my disposal (I disposed of them all ) but if I did I would be happy to go step by step using NERO or whatever you are using. Hopefully another user might be able to do this with you.



Sasha

Last edited by GrapefruiTgirl; 06-08-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: cursed typo..
 
Old 06-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #51
wowihatevista
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 55

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapefruiTgirl View Post
To clarify again:

The idea here is NOT to simply COPY & PASTE the ISO file onto a CD. This will result in what sounds like what you have now-- a CD with the ISO image copied onto it. By doing any sort of "compilation" burning process, that is what you will get: a compilation of files, copied from A to B.

Imagine this: You have a CD that you bought at the store. It is a game or something, or a Windows CD.

Now, if we were to theoretically go through the steps needed to COPY that whole CD all at once (NOT just copy the files on it, but COPY the CD as a whole item) into one giant file on your desktop, the resulting file would be a .ISO file, It is a cloned IMAGE of the CD as a whole. It is like a photocopy.

What you want to accomplish here, is the reverse: we want to BURN a WHOLE BOOTABLE CD from a pre-existing ISO IMAGE. We do NOT simply want to copy this ISO file onto a CD-- that would just cause us to have the ISO image in 2 places now: on the desktop, and on a CD. The ISO file is like an imaginary CD, or a virtual CD, and it needs to be returned to the shape and form of a round plastic CD thingy. As a ISO file, it cannot be used as is (that is outside the scope of this thread) but it must be burned back into a CD shape.

Copying it here and there by making compilations will not work; Whatever burning program you use should have a menu option ora selection called something like "Create a Bootable CD from an ISO or IMAGE FILE" and when this is selected, it should not ask you very much more than "which CD will I burn the image to" and "Locate the Image file (browse)" and that should be about it.

I don't have a Windoze machine at my disposal (I disposed of them all ) but if I did I would be happy to go step by step using NERO or whatever you are using. Hopefully another user might be able to do this with you.



Sasha
wow, I just understood all of that, it all made perfect sense. You are one intelliget girl

that sounds exactly what I did, so now I just gota wait for someone to guide me through it.

I downloaded that cd burer from majorgeeks.com, it seems to be a pretty good program. im just not 100% sure how to use it, and I only have one cd so I wanna make sure I do it properly

heres a screenie: http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/8144/47301338ai6.jpg
 
Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #52
GrapefruiTgirl
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
OK, I see the screenshot, but without the menus displayed it is impossible to figure out what options this program gives you.

Can you provide a link to the site of whoever makes that program, where I might see the FAQ or Help tutorial for it? Maybe I can point you in the right direction from there.


Thanks.

SVA
 
Old 06-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #53
wowihatevista
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 55

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapefruiTgirl View Post
OK, I see the screenshot, but without the menus displayed it is impossible to figure out what options this program gives you.

Can you provide a link to the site of whoever makes that program, where I might see the FAQ or Help tutorial for it? Maybe I can point you in the right direction from there.


Thanks.

SVA
Im not too sure about the programs name. I downloaded it from the majorgeeks link at the top of page 4.

its called CD burner XP.

it isint very big, prob only take you 2 mins to download and install it for yourself.

thanks
 
Old 06-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #54
GrapefruiTgirl
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowihatevista View Post
Im not too sure about the programs name. I downloaded it from the majorgeeks link at the top of page 4.

its called CD burner XP.

it isint very big, prob only take you 2 mins to download and install it for yourself.

thanks
I cannot install it-- I do not have or use Windoze..

I will see if I con locate some help on it online though...
 
Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #55
GrapefruiTgirl
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
http://cdburnerxp.se/help//Data/burn-iso

OK, go here, to the "Help Burn ISO file to CD" page of the programs maker, and follow the onscreen instructions

Sasha
 
Old 06-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #56
wowihatevista
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 55

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapefruiTgirl View Post
http://cdburnerxp.se/help//Data/burn-iso

OK, go here, to the "Help Burn ISO file to CD" page of the programs maker, and follow the onscreen instructions

Sasha
does it matter that im using a mini dvd-r?

It doesnt give me the option to choose iso cd. heres what I get when I open it

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5307/69867483wb7.jpg
 
Old 06-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #57
GrapefruiTgirl
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
OK, if you read at the bottom of the HELP page, it says that if you have a different version of the pragram, then use the instructions at tho bottom of the page;
Quote:
Version requirement

This is article applies to version 4.0.027 or higher. However, this version is not available publicly yet. You can subscribe to our newsletter if you want to be notified about new releases.

In older versions of CDBurnerXP, you can open the dialog by selecting File → Write disc from ISO file in the data disc area.

2004 - 2008
So from the main screen you showed in your 1st screenshot, select the FILE menu, then "Write Disc from ISO file" and go from there.
It should not matter if you are using a DVD or a CD' at least it doesn't matter when I do it, but with Windoze, who knows...

Last edited by GrapefruiTgirl; 06-08-2008 at 11:16 PM.
 
Old 06-08-2008, 11:19 PM   #58
wowihatevista
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 55

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
is this what im looking for?

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5422/qqqbe2.jpg
 
Old 06-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #59
GrapefruiTgirl
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: underground
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 7,594

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowihatevista View Post
Yes!



Select that and give us another screenshot.
 
Old 06-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #60
wowihatevista
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 55

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
this is what is shows now, I think I got it figured out

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1088/qwqwtp4.jpg
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey guys draft0r LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 2 02-26-2007 07:55 PM
Hey, all guys! How r u fromchina LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 3 10-04-2005 10:59 PM
Hey guys. Had RH7 for a while. few sound issues. some questions too. Jehar Red Hat 12 05-08-2004 07:07 PM
Hey Guys Frozen Gamez LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 2 10-06-2003 10:18 PM
Hey guys just a couple of questions I really need answered ! rising_sun Linux - Newbie 2 06-05-2002 10:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration