LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
harsha101087
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Distribution: Opensuse 11.0 , Fedora 9 , Ubuntu 8.04
Posts: 54

Rep: Reputation: 15
Unhappy Help regarding installing mosix in ubuntu ???


Hi all ! I am using ubuntu jaunty jackalope 9.04 ~
can any body guide me in installing mosix with the kernel patch and configuring the same

the guidance would be highly appreciated
thanking u
 
Old 08-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,932

Rep: Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692
Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha101087 View Post
Hi all ! I am using ubuntu jaunty jackalope 9.04 ~
can any body guide me in installing mosix with the kernel patch and configuring the same

the guidance would be highly appreciated
thanking u
What have you tried so far??? What problems are you having?

The documentation is here: http://www.mosix.org/index.html, and OpenSuSE 11.1 kernels are here: http://www.mosix.org/txt_eval.html
 
Old 08-24-2009, 06:15 AM   #3
harsha101087
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Distribution: Opensuse 11.0 , Fedora 9 , Ubuntu 8.04
Posts: 54

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I don't know whether i am having problems as such .. but this is what i did in brief

Step 1 :- Tried to run the mosix.install script -> didn't work
Step 2 :- Downloaded the kernel 2.6.30.3 and applied the patch using this command

$ cd <kernel_source> (/usr/src/linux-2.6.30.3)
$ sudo patch -p1 < <path of the patch file i.e mosix patch file>

Then i build the .deb packages using the documentation given @ https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

i got the following .deb files ( it took long time ) i.e main one and header one

$ sudo dpkg -i <kernel-main one >
$ sudo dpkg -i <kernel-headers>

and rebooted and kernel worked fine

I think Mosix was inbuilt into kernel which i compiled .. and later ran the mosix.install using sudo but didn't work though ... so started the script using root login and didn't work

# ./mosix-install
60 .verinfo is not found something like this i got
i checked whether verinfo file was there in extracted mosix dir and it was there ..
Hope that this helps u to sort my problem , i guess something is wrong with the installation script
 
Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,932

Rep: Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692
Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha101087 View Post
I don't know whether i am having problems as such .. but this is what i did in brief

Step 1 :- Tried to run the mosix.install script -> didn't work
Step 2 :- Downloaded the kernel 2.6.30.3 and applied the patch using this command

$ cd <kernel_source> (/usr/src/linux-2.6.30.3)
$ sudo patch -p1 < <path of the patch file i.e mosix patch file>

Then i build the .deb packages using the documentation given @ https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

i got the following .deb files ( it took long time ) i.e main one and header one

$ sudo dpkg -i <kernel-main one >
$ sudo dpkg -i <kernel-headers>

and rebooted and kernel worked fine
Did you install those .deb files???
Quote:
I think Mosix was inbuilt into kernel which i compiled .. and later ran the mosix.install using sudo but didn't work though ... so started the script using root login and didn't work

# ./mosix-install
60 .verinfo is not found something like this i got
i checked whether verinfo file was there in extracted mosix dir and it was there ..
Hope that this helps u to sort my problem , i guess something is wrong with the installation script
Please spell out your words. And we need to know what the exact error message is. Need more than "didn't work" and "something like this".

And an obvious one...are you sure Mosix is supported under Ubuntu?
 
Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
harsha101087
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Distribution: Opensuse 11.0 , Fedora 9 , Ubuntu 8.04
Posts: 54

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I have no earthly idea whether mosix is supported in ubuntu
Yeah..i did install those deb packages

This is what i m getting after executing mosix.install

Code:
root@len_y410:~/Desktop/mosix-2.27.0.1# ./mosix.install 
.: 60: verinfo: not found
Code:
root@len_y410:~/Desktop/mosix-2.27.0.1# cat verinfo
MAJOR=2
MIDDLE=27
MINOR=0
MINUTE=1
EXTRA=""
KVER=2.6.30.3
ALT=""
KERNELS="2.6.30.3"
SUM_CONFIG_26303=04779-14
SUM_CONNECT_26303=39191-18
SUM_LOAD_26303=09123-2
SUM_MOSADMIN_26303=30724-4
SUM_MOSPROC_26303=18915-21
SUM_SCHED_26303=19698-253
SUM_MOSIX_26303=51712-5
Code:
uname -r
root@len_y410:~/Desktop/mosix-2.27.0.1# uname -r
2.6.30.3-udeesha
The above is the kernel which i compiled & built

Code:
root@len_y410:~/Desktop/mosix-2.27.0.1# ls /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30.3-udeesha/ | grep -i mosix
mosix
Code:
root@len_y410:~/Desktop/mosix-2.27.0.1# ls /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30.3-udeesha/mosix/
Makefile
Code:
root@len_y410:~/Desktop/mosix-2.27.0.1# cat /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30.3-udeesha/mosix/Makefile 
# Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, Amnon Barak (amnon@MOSIX.org)
#
# THIS  SOFTWARE  IS  PROVIDED IN ITS  "AS IS"  CONDITION, WITH NO WARRANTY
# WHATSOEVER. NO LIABILITY OF ANY KIND FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING
# FROM THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE WILL BE ACCEPTED.
#
#
# Makefile for MOSIX.
#
# Note! Dependencies are done automagically by 'make dep', which also
# removes any old dependencies. DON'T put your own dependencies here
# unless it's something special (ie not a .c file).
#

obj-y    :=  load.o mosproc.o mosadmin.o config.o connect.o
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mosix vs. openMosix microsoft/linux General 1 06-01-2006 02:56 AM
mosix cluster. bruse Programming 4 08-25-2005 07:53 AM
open mosix bruse Linux - Networking 0 07-26-2005 10:06 AM
planning on installing open mosix on a few computers whited Linux - Software 3 06-04-2005 12:55 AM
mosix ascii2k Linux - Networking 2 07-16-2001 09:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration