Help Playing Windows Media on Mandrake 10.0
I was wondering does anyone know how to play Windows Media files (wma. wmv, avi, etc.)? Everytime I try to play anything it either displays a error message saying that I this file type is not handled or when playing audio it will appear to be playing okay but only plays static. I'm using Totem Media Player on Mandrake 10.0.
Lol, Windows Media is owned by Microsoft, which happens to be a tad bit anti-Linux. I think Turbolinux 10 has support for Windows Media. Linspire does, and maybe Xandros. Other than that, good luck, if you are downloading from Limewire or something stick to MPG.
Install mplayer with support for win formats. Mplayer is the best video player there is for linux.
Also, you may want to install this xine which is very good. But notice, it may conflict with your already installed:
grab the essential codec pack from here...
supported video and audio codecs
most important video codecs:
* MPEG1 (VCD) and MPEG2 (SVCD/DVD/DVB) video
* MPEG4 in all variants including DivX ;-), OpenDivX (DivX4), DivX 5 (Pro), XviD
* Windows Media Video 7/8 (WMV1/2)
* Windows Media Video 9 (WMV3) (using x86 DLL)
* RealVideo 1.0, 2.0 (G2)
* RealVideo 3.0 (RP8), 4.0 (RP9) (using Real libraries)
* Sorenson v1/v3 (SVQ1/SVQ3), Cinepak, RPZA and other QuickTime codecs
* DV video
* Intel Indeo3 (3.1, 3.2)
* Intel Indeo 4.1 and 5.0 (using x86 DLL or XAnim codecs)
* VIVO 1.0, 2.0, I263 and other H.263(+) variants (using x86 DLL)
* MJPEG, AVID, VCR2, ASV2 and other hardware formats
* various old simple RLE-like formats
most important audio codecs:
* MPEG layer 1, 2, and 3 (MP3) audio
* AC3/A52 (Dolby Digital) audio (software or SP/DIF)
* AAC (MPEG4 audio)
* WMA (DivX Audio) v1, v2
* WMA 9 (WMAv3), Voxware audio, ACELP.net etc (using x86 DLLs)
* RealAudio: COOK, SIPRO, ATRAC3 (using Real libraries)
* RealAudio: DNET and older codecs
* QuickTime: Qclp, Q-Design QDMC/QDM2, MACE 3/6 (using QT libraries)
* Ogg Vorbis audio
* VIVO audio (g723, Vivo Siren) (using x86 DLL)
* alaw/ulaw, (ms)gsm, pcm, *adpcm and other simple old audio formats
hmmm, i didn't know any of that, maybe ill try to configure mplayer to play wm one of these days.
I keep getting this error during the "make" step of the installation.
ffv1.c: In function `encode_rgb_frame
ffv1.c:465: internal compiler error: in find_function_data, at function.c:329
Anyone know how to fix this?
maybe try '' xine '' ? play's everything....
When I tried installing Mplayer it told me I needed C compiler gcc-2.95x or gcc-3x. Apparently this isn't standar for Linux so does anyone know where I can find it?
All this just to watch a movie
Subcribes to thread
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.|