LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 409
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk75 View Post
Hmmm... This actually caught my attention the second time I read your original post:



Do you have desktop effects enabled? Though I really doubt the other problems you describe have to do with your video card, it might be worth disabling desktop effects to see if it makes any difference.
I doubt it- as I don't use any of the fancy eye-candy stuff. Went to check, but I'm having the problem again...so I can't see anything.

This is getting ridiculous- I feel like I'm back in Windows- spending half of my time doing maintenance and fixing stuff.

I installed the updates...and now I'm screwed. About 2 dozen of them wouldn't install- and when I rebooted my 'puter, everything looks completely different now! Tried to run update manager again, but it couldn't do anything because the previous updates didn't install right and it now says the software index is broken. Ran the terminal command it suggested to fix the problem, and got this notice at the end:

Code:
OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/tmp/gconf-BkkvQB'
dpkg: error processing gnome-panel-data (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Setting up system-config-printer-common (1.2.0+20100408-0ubuntu5.2) ...
dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
 unable to flush updated status of `system-config-printer-common': Read-only file system
Lesson: NEVER install updates except for specific items/problems!!!

I guess I'll be trying Mint.... as, between the initial problem that prompted me to start this thread, and these new problems now....it's probably easier to just start from scratch than to try and fix all this.

I had hoped that at the very least, I could hang on until 10.10 was released- as, like a previous poster stated, that version would likely have the bugs worked out.

Last edited by Sumguy; 08-23-2010 at 01:13 PM.
 
Old 08-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #17
jay73
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
Quote:
As for updating....I did update, but selectively- i.e. I unchecked 90% of the stuff that I'd have no use for- such as: update for Evolution Mail (I deleted Evolution mail long ago); update for the IM client (I don't use IM) etc.
If you deleted Evolution, why is it presenting you with updates? I am beginning to wonder just how Evolution was deleted? Did you use aptitude or synaptic to do so or did you just delete things manually? The latter would be an excellent way to break any system that has a package manager...

Edit: from the above messages, I do get the impression that it is a case of incorrect software management. Just a warning: any system is going to break if you don't follow the rules.

Last edited by jay73; 08-23-2010 at 04:46 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #18
RockDoctor
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Minnesota, US
Distribution: Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 1,252

Rep: Reputation: 252Reputation: 252Reputation: 252
U-10.10 may have the bugs from 10.04 fixed, but there will be a slug of new ones Ubuntu may not be as bleeding edge as Fedora, but it's apparently out there far enough to to be problematic on occasion. One thing I've learned (but not very well, as I have to relearn it all too often) with both Fedora and Ubuntu, is to apply updates in small batches. Seems like there are fewer failed updates that way, and I know I'm not going to be left with several hundred MB of half-installed packages.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #19
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 409
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay73 View Post
If you deleted Evolution, why is it presenting you with updates? I am beginning to wonder just how Evolution was deleted? Did you use aptitude or synaptic to do so or did you just delete things manually? The latter would be an excellent way to break any system that has a package manager...

Edit: from the above messages, I do get the impression that it is a case of incorrect software management. Just a warning: any system is going to break if you don't follow the rules.
I deleted Evolution through Synaptic. Have to check on the next system I install and see if I can't just keep it from installing all the crap that I don't want/need. (Thought I read somewhere that 10.10 was going to come with Thunderbird and Chromium....it should!)

I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything to break the system- as I really don't fool with things- and the problem actually started before I deleted Evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDoctor View Post
U-10.10 may have the bugs from 10.04 fixed, but there will be a slug of new ones Ubuntu may not be as bleeding edge as Fedora, but it's apparently out there far enough to to be problematic on occasion. One thing I've learned (but not very well, as I have to relearn it all too often) with both Fedora and Ubuntu, is to apply updates in small batches. Seems like there are fewer failed updates that way, and I know I'm not going to be left with several hundred MB of half-installed packages.
That makes sense to me. Quite frankly, I think I'm better off with my old Windows mentality of "If it ain't broke...don't fix it"- and just skipping the updates unless it's something I know I really need. (Although in this case, it was broke....but now it's even "broker"[sic] )

I may just try a fresh install of Ubuntu. What about the Ubuntu recovery mode? Can I do that without losing my data?
 
Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #20
Kenny_Strawn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: /usa/ca/orange_county/lake_forest
Distribution: ArchBang, Google Android 2.1 + Motoblur (on Motortola Flipside), Google Chrome OS (on Cr-48)
Posts: 1,791
Blog Entries: 62

Rep: Reputation: 55
First of all, in Synaptic you may have to uninstall Evolution completely, as in the equivalent of 'autoremove --purge' in apt-get. To do that, select "Completely remove including configuration files". See what that does.

Or, do it the traditional way:

Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge evolution
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #21
damgar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: dallas, tx
Distribution: Slackware - current multilib/gsb Arch
Posts: 1,949
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 201Reputation: 201Reputation: 201
Every now and again I get frustrated at having to do something manually in Slackware and I consider installing Ubuntu on one of my machines again....... And then I read a thread like this. LOL. Not a dig at Ubuntu, just a +1 for manual configuration, updates, etc. At least I have a pretty good idea of what went wrong when it breaks and it's usually my own fault anyway.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #22
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 409
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn View Post
First of all, in Synaptic you may have to uninstall Evolution completely, as in the equivalent of 'autoremove --purge' in apt-get. To do that, select "Completely remove including configuration files". See what that does.

Or, do it the traditional way:

Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge evolution
Oy! Just tried that- and I now get a message saying "Dpkg was interrupted....need to manually configure...." -which is what I tried to do before, which generated the error message I had posted. I think I'm screwed- that update attempt really ruined everything.

You should see what happened: It even changed my fonts....the color of my toolbars; my icons- it removed the majority of themes from the appearance
folder, and broke it, so that I can't go back to the look I had before....

It's a mess.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by damgar View Post
Every now and again I get frustrated at having to do something manually in Slackware and I consider installing Ubuntu on one of my machines again....... And then I read a thread like this. LOL. Not a dig at Ubuntu, just a +1 for manual configuration, updates, etc. At least I have a pretty good idea of what went wrong when it breaks and it's usually my own fault anyway.
I wish I had the know-how.....as that's the way I like it- for the same reason I prefer a manual transmission in a car (If you could do everything via GUI, it'd be great- but I assume it's all CLI?)
 
Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #23
damgar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: dallas, tx
Distribution: Slackware - current multilib/gsb Arch
Posts: 1,949
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 201Reputation: 201Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumguy View Post

I wish I had the know-how.....as that's the way I like it- for the same reason I prefer a manual transmission in a car (If you could do everything via GUI, it'd be great- but I assume it's all CLI?)
+1 on the manual transmission. Same goes for manual windows and locks too.

As far as Slackware goes..........
It's some CLI, some editing of text files, some GUI. It's not as bad as a lot of people make it sound, but it does take some effort up front. On the plus side, config files are usually more intuitive than the GUI if you have access to google, and troubleshooting is more straightforward when you are used to reading the files and on the stability front, there just aren't many updates in the stable branch anyway and it's a manual exercise in the first place so your system doesn't really break itself. Slackware is one of those things that when you are getting used to it seems entirely backwards, but one day you realize it makes perfect sense and most everything else seems rather awkward. It took me about a month before I formatted all my disks and went full time slack, although from time to time I do install something that sounds interesting on a spare partition.

Slackware does have an extremely helpful community, and lots of tutorials for new Slackers. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people just dying to reveal their inner-geek!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #24
jay73
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
Right, if anything works it should be this: sudo fsck -a, let it do its work, then reboot.

Btw, if you removed evolution, di you remove evolution-data-server, too? It has a hook in quite a few parts of gnome (including gnome-panel); remove it and you break lots of dependencies (then again, you'd get a warning in red if you tried - but the system could never prevent you from doing it anyway).
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #25
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 409
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by damgar View Post
+1 on the manual transmission. Same goes for manual windows and locks too.

As far as Slackware goes..........
It's some CLI, some editing of text files, some GUI. It's not as bad as a lot of people make it sound, but it does take some effort up front. On the plus side, config files are usually more intuitive than the GUI if you have access to google, and troubleshooting is more straightforward when you are used to reading the files and on the stability front, there just aren't many updates in the stable branch anyway and it's a manual exercise in the first place so your system doesn't really break itself. Slackware is one of those things that when you are getting used to it seems entirely backwards, but one day you realize it makes perfect sense and most everything else seems rather awkward. It took me about a month before I formatted all my disks and went full time slack, although from time to time I do install something that sounds interesting on a spare partition.

Slackware does have an extremely helpful community, and lots of tutorials for new Slackers. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people just dying to reveal their inner-geek!
You're really tempting me to give Slack a try.....

As long as there are people out there willing to help and capable of dumbing it down for a beginner like me, what would I have to lose? (Except perhaps my sanity)

As long as I can figure out/be told what to do, I don't mind editing files...in fact, from the little I have done...I like it! Simple...direct...and you can always undo it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay73 View Post
Right, if anything works it should be this: sudo fsck -a, let it do its work, then reboot.

Btw, if you removed evolution, di you remove evolution-data-server, too? It has a hook in quite a few parts of gnome (including gnome-panel); remove it and you break lots of dependencies (then again, you'd get a warning in red if you tried - but the system could never prevent you from doing it anyway).
I'll look that one up in man, and then give it a try....

Thanks.
 
Old 08-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #26
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 409
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 98
Ooooo-K...just tried the fsck and received this:

"The file system is mounted. If you continue you WILL cause severe damage..."

Seems EVERYTHING I try to do through the terminal either encounters an error or something like this- sheesh- this is worse than having a virus!
 
Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #27
jay73
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
My mistake. I should have specified you were supposed to do that from a livecd. fsck accesses your drive as a raw device, which can lead to a mess on a partition that is still mounted.

As a quick alternative, do this:
sudo touch /forcefsck
and reboot. This will force a full file system check when the system is booting up again.

Last edited by jay73; 08-23-2010 at 11:50 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #28
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 409
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay73 View Post
My mistake. I should have specified you were supposed to do that from a livecd. fsck accesses your drive as a raw device, which can lead to a mess on a partition that is still mounted.

As a quick alternative, do this:
sudo touch /forcefsck
and reboot. This will force a full file system check when the system is booting up again.
O-K...just tried that- it took about 3 seconds for it to check the disk...then it booted up.....

Apparently...no new info there.....
 
Old 08-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #29
jay73
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
Good. Have you tried the update again in the meantime? Still the same error?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #30
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 409
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay73 View Post
Good. Have you tried the update again in the meantime? Still the same error?
DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!! [5 bells] You da man!!

I was able to do a partial upgrade.......and after rebooting, the system looks to be back to normal! The proper icons and fonts, etc. are back, and all the new problems caused by trying to update seem to be resolved!

And I was just about to give up!

You're a genius!

I have a feeling that I'm at least back to square one, with just the initial problem (the original subject of this thread) to deal with.

As for that: What will happen if I try booting into the "recovery" mode at the grub menu? Could that be a way to possibly restore/fix whatever is causing my initial problem, without losing my data???

Thank you so much for getting me back to at least where i was when I started this thread-

And thanks to everyone else for all the advice and help. (And I WILL try and keep up-to-date on the updates)

One other question: If I install all the updates, is that the same as upgrading to 10.10?

(Sorry for the never-ending questions- but I like to pick the brains of knowledgable people- even though I realize that this simplistic newbie stuff must be a bore to you all- Thanks for putting up with me!)
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
send() recv() used multiple times fail Jane2008 Programming 34 03-13-2009 05:25 PM
System freezes a couple of times a day Fugazi Fedora 12 01-02-2009 06:44 PM
squid + bandwidth cutoff at specific times of day avirup dasgupta Linux - Networking 2 09-01-2005 03:42 AM
My system is crashing 5 times a day! Is linux really more stable than windows? little_penguin Linux - Software 25 07-29-2005 05:15 AM
iptables : Restrict access at certain times of day J-Ben Linux - Newbie 1 03-28-2004 10:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration