altho you have only asked one way....there are more than 5
1) create the image such as with www.partimage.org
burn it to its own dvd....boot a live cd...to ram so you can remove the cd....stick in the dvd and while still in ram drive....use partimage that is a part of the live cd...to use the now mounted dvd to restore image from that to your intended new drive
2) create image....but remaster a live cd that has partimage on it.....so old drive image is copied to remastered dvd.....that right a live cd can be made a live dvd and restore image from that dvd to new drive.
3) use a live cd to create the partitions first....then if live cd is ram only...copy new inserted dvd image to new partition then restore image from that.....sounds messy.
4) you can buy very large usb sticks now a days that can take a 3G image. Use a live cd.
For all of them....use a live cd to put grub into mbr if you used partimage....or if you are going to create same size partitions...first partition image has a copy of mbr that you use to restore first
5) instead of partimage you could use dd.