Ok. I need to do some greek and roman transcriptions on my wordprocessor, so I've installed some TrueType fonts I've imported from Windows.
I'm on Debian etch and I installed some time ago the MS webcore fonts from the Debian repos. They are installed at /usr/share/fonts/TrueType/mssttcorefonts. Now I've installed the new fonts at /usr/share/fonts/TrueType/msother. I've run the programs mkfontscale and mkfontdir in order to create fonts.scale and fonts.dir in that directory and then I've made Debian aware of the new fonts by doing fc-cache -fv.
The new fonts appear on the fc-list output, so, according so the tons of documents on the subject Google found for me, I've succeed installing the new fonts. Nice. I can see and use them on KDE, OpenOffice and can set GTK 2 to use them.
But GTK 1.2 is NOT able to see them! AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! Damn! I mean, they don't get listed in gtk-theme-switch nor in xfontsel. I experienced this in the past (back when I installed MS fonts) and fixed it by installing x-ttcidfonts-conf, which seems to be stuff related to some kind of Debian font management. Now this doesn't work. I've dpkg-reconfigured x-ttcidfonts-conf and GTK 1.2 isn't aware of the new fonts.
Ok, not a big deal. My GTK 1.2 apps use the nice MS Tahoma font I use system wide, so I can live with the system as it is. But I sweared to myself that I'll get the fucking GTK 1.2 to recognise and even use the new fonts.
Now GTK is tougher than me and I surrender, so here I am posting for help