LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #16
Jay88
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: London
Distribution: Xubuntu 14.04
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorkelljarl View Post
Congratulations on the recovery...

This is a GRUB rescue utility that you can use.

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

You can also use almost any linux live-cd, except fedora, to repair GRUB, including many rescue CDs.

http://www.sysresccd.org/System-tools

http://partedmagic.com/
I used the Fedora rescue utility which has restored my grub menu BUT there is now some confusion between the location of my /boot partition and the location specified in the grub.conf file.

According to linux the /boot partition is on /dev/sda6 and in the grub.conf file I have root(hd0,6) but this gives grub error 17 when I select linux from the grub menu, so I edited the location and changed it to root(hd0,5) and I could boot into linux.

The question now is do I just change the grub.conf file to root(hd0,5) permanently or is this an indication that something is still wrong?
My /grub/device.map file has
(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sda

Is this correct?

I don't want to change it and at some point in the future after installing a new kernel have to go through the same problems again.
Thanks
Jay
 
Old 11-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #17
JamesChamberlain
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Wirral, UK
Distribution: Red Hat Enterprise Linux / Fedora 11
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
I used the Fedora rescue utility which has restored my grub menu BUT there is now some confusion between the location of my /boot partition and the location specified in the grub.conf file.

According to linux the /boot partition is on /dev/sda6 and in the grub.conf file I have root(hd0,6) but this gives grub error 17 when I select linux from the grub menu, so I edited the location and changed it to root(hd0,5) and I could boot into linux.

The question now is do I just change the grub.conf file to root(hd0,5) permanently or is this an indication that something is still wrong?
My /grub/device.map file has
(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sda

Is this correct?

I don't want to change it and at some point in the future after installing a new kernel have to go through the same problems again.
Thanks
Jay
Setting to root (hd0,5) in grub.conf is fine. The reason they differ is that because linux will start your first partition as, for example sda1, whereas grub will see it as hd0,0, here you can see the difference.

Edit grub to hd0,5 permanently for the location of your kernel and initial ramdisk and youll be good to go.
 
Old 11-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #18
Jay88
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: London
Distribution: Xubuntu 14.04
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesChamberlain View Post
Setting to root (hd0,5) in grub.conf is fine. The reason they differ is that because linux will start your first partition as, for example sda1, whereas grub will see it as hd0,0, here you can see the difference.

Edit grub to hd0,5 permanently for the location of your kernel and initial ramdisk and youll be good to go.
Ok thanks, I will do this it's just that I thought that before grub loads it runs some kind of 'chainloader+1' command so that it adds 1 to the value provided as the partition holding the boot files or is this only for booting windows?
 
Old 11-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #19
JamesChamberlain
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Wirral, UK
Distribution: Red Hat Enterprise Linux / Fedora 11
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
Ok thanks, I will do this it's just that I thought that before grub loads it runs some kind of 'chainloader+1' command so that it adds 1 to the value provided as the partition holding the boot files or is this only for booting windows?
Windows only, from what i think.

Last edited by JamesChamberlain; 11-08-2009 at 08:56 AM.
 
Old 11-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #20
Larry Webb
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Crystal Beach, Texas
Distribution: Suse for mail +
Posts: 5,100
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 229Reputation: 229Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesChamberlain View Post
Windows only, from what i think.
If you have grub installed in the linux distro partition then you can chainload that partition.

Here is a link to a tutorial where the author chainloaded 145 distros

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...hreadid=147959
 
Old 11-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #21
Jay88
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: London
Distribution: Xubuntu 14.04
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Webb View Post
If you have grub installed in the linux distro partition then you can chainload that partition.

Here is a link to a tutorial where the author chainloaded 145 distros

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...hreadid=147959
Thanks for the link.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot load Mandriva, grub problem DjPan Mandriva 5 06-16-2008 11:05 PM
grub failed to load linux (grub think ext3 partition as fat) khairilthegreat Linux - Newbie 7 08-09-2007 12:12 PM
Problem with GNU Grub, trying to load windows ProxyKing Linux - Games 4 06-10-2005 03:14 PM
GRUB can't load Linux at all... help! Napalm Llama Linux - Software 1 02-09-2005 05:31 PM
Linux Won't load under Grub mikeyt_333 Linux - General 9 02-08-2002 08:24 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration