LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #16
syg00
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Lots ...
Posts: 15,533

Rep: Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041

O.k., that why we needed that info.
As root, try the "dd" command again, but use /dev/hda instead of /dev/sda.
 
Old 05-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #17
Simon Bridge
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Waiheke NZ
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9,211

Rep: Reputation: 198Reputation: 198
Quote:
dd: opening '/dev/sda': No such device or address
... fdisk -l lists all drives, and you say there are no other drives installed. Only /dev/hda is so listed... which is primary-master ide and not sata as reported.

Repeat the dd command with /dev/hda instead of /dev/sda
 
Old 05-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #18
saikee
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Distribution: Any free distro.
Posts: 3,398
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 112Reputation: 112
WE could be here all night if the OP thinks he/she has Sata drive for both hard disk and CD drive but the command "fdisk -l" confirms it is a hda or a Pata.

Grub Error 22 from Grub Manual shows
Code:
22 : No such partition
    This error is returned if a partition is requested in the device part of a device- or full file name which isn't on the selected disk.
Sata disk always starts with sda, sdb, sdc etc so specifying a wrong partition to boot is a sure way to get Grub Error 22.

The hda hard disk shows no partition inside so there was never any installation at all, unless we haven't seen the full picture.

The quickest way to get a Linux installed is use the Knoppix Live CD's cfdisk to create two logical partitions of hda5 and hda6, size 1 and 10Gb respectively and Type 82 and 83. Type 82 is for swap. Fire up the Knoppix installer and tell it the Linux to be installed in hda6, let the installer format hda6 in Ext3, specify the boot loader in the MBR and Knoppix should be running in half an hour time from the hard disk.

Last edited by saikee; 05-08-2007 at 07:12 PM.
 
Old 05-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #19
syg00
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Lots ...
Posts: 15,533

Rep: Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041
o.k., everyone calm down - it certainly is possible for a S-ATA disk to show up as /dev/hd?.
BIOS compatibility mode will do this on my older ASUS motherboards.
 
Old 05-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #20
hitemhrd
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2007
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bridge
... fdisk -l lists all drives, and you say there are no other drives installed. Only /dev/hda is so listed... which is primary-master ide and not sata as reported.

Repeat the dd command with /dev/hda instead of /dev/sda
I repeated the command as requested and this was what I got back:

446+0 records in
446+0 records out
446 bytes transferred in 0.020093 seconds (22197 bytes/sec)
 
Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #21
hitemhrd
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2007
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by saikee
WE could be here all night if the OP thinks he/she has Sata drive for both hard disk and CD drive but the command "fdisk -l" confirms it is a hda or a Pata.

Grub Error 22 from Grub Manual shows
Code:
22 : No such partition
    This error is returned if a partition is requested in the device part of a device- or full file name which isn't on the selected disk.
Sata disk always starts with sda, sdb, sdc etc so specifying a wrong partition to boot is a sure way to get Grub Error 22.

The hda hard disk shows no partition inside so there was never any installation at all, unless we haven't seen the full picture.

The quickest way to get a Linux installed is use the Knoppix Live CD's cfdisk to create two logical partitions of hda5 and hda6, size 1 and 10Gb respectively and Type 82 and 83. Type 82 is for swap. Fire up the Knoppix installer and tell it the Linux to be installed in hda6, let the installer format hda6 in Ext3, specify the boot loader in the MBR and Knoppix should be running in half an hour time from the hard disk.
I understand what you want me to do, and could probably do that in Windows. But how do I do that in linux. Unfortunately I am the rookie that needs granular instructions. I appreciate every minute you spend looking at my threads.
 
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #22
Simon Bridge
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Waiheke NZ
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9,211

Rep: Reputation: 198Reputation: 198
Don't worry - saikee didn't realise that you said you hadn't installed yet.

Now you have zeroed the MBR, procede with the install as usual.
 
Old 05-09-2007, 06:52 PM   #23
hitemhrd
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2007
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bridge
Don't worry - saikee didn't realise that you said you hadn't installed yet.

Now you have zeroed the MBR, procede with the install as usual.
I tried the install again and got the same grub 22 error. What am I doing wrong? (Setting myself up here as the obvious answer is ...everything. LOL)
 
Old 05-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #24
syg00
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Lots ...
Posts: 15,533

Rep: Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041
Hmmmm - try this (as root)
Code:
dd if=/dev/hda count=1 | hexdump
While you're at it do the "fdisk -l" again.
Let's see (all) the output from both commands.
 
Old 05-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #25
hitemhrd
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2007
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by syg00
Hmmmm - try this (as root)
Code:
dd if=/dev/hda count=1 | hexdump
While you're at it do the "fdisk -l" again.
Let's see (all) the output from both commands.

1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes transferred in 0.019618 seconds (26099 bytes/sec)
0000000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
*
00001f0 0000 000

That was the response.
 
Old 05-13-2007, 10:07 PM   #26
syg00
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Lots ...
Posts: 15,533

Rep: Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041Reputation: 2041
Ain't no grub (or any boot-loader) there.
 
Old 05-14-2007, 02:20 AM   #27
Simon Bridge
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Waiheke NZ
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9,211

Rep: Reputation: 198Reputation: 198
Quote:
Ain't no grub (or any boot-loader) there.
We know that, this error occurs during installation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitemhrd (#5)
My problem is that I get this error message when I try to boot from Disk 1 of Suse 10.2
But where exactly? Before the boot: prompt?

I don't see why we are getting error 22 from the installation to a totally blank drive!

It follows there is something we're not being told...

Anyway, I'd suggest manually installing grub to hda0 (mbr) next, using grub-install from knoppix. (Setting bios off legacy mode would seem an idea too.)
 
Old 05-14-2007, 07:40 AM   #28
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
This says you have an IDE/PATA drive, not SATA, and that it has no partitions. Normally, SATA shows up as sd-something. The fact that it does not here is not--in itself--an issue.

In any case, you would now erase the mbr using:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda count=446 bs=1
 
Old 05-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #29
Simon Bridge
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Waiheke NZ
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9,211

Rep: Reputation: 198Reputation: 198
pixellany: read post #20 ... this is what was actually done. Confirmed by the hexdump in #24.

I note that it is possible for a sata drive to show as pata where bios is set to legacy mode. I think this should be checked. If, indeed, this is a physical sata drive in legacy, I think the bios should be reset to defaults.

OP has not been helping by failing to provide the command used with the results, as well as failing to provide all information asked for. Still awaiting OP response to #27.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grub error 17, and wont reinstall using grub-install! chiefreborn Linux - General 6 06-06-2007 10:29 AM
Grub error 21 on new install Eoin Dubh Debian 2 12-01-2006 03:51 PM
Grub-Install gives error acidblue Fedora 2 07-11-2005 10:56 AM
grub-install error xelt Linux - General 6 05-13-2005 04:31 AM
New Install GRUB Error 15 AndeAnderson Debian 18 04-08-2005 01:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration