I am fairly new to Linux, especially the administration side (i.e. my own linux box).
I have a box that had WinXP on the only hard drive. This drive I moved to become a secondary drive and put a clean WD 80GB in as the master. I installed RedHat Fedora Core 1 without any problems and Linux came up great. The only problem was that the GRUB loader wouldn't boot Windows. So, I tried changing the menu.lst file (or, actually, the .cfg file that it points to) based on several website's recommendations. None worked, but I managed to get GRUB not to work as well.
What actually took out GRUB I don't remember as I have been trying to fix this for several weekends, now. Here's what I do know:
1) I originally set up hd0 to be split into 2 partitions: the first is linux, the second is unused right now (hopefully later it will be a "shared partition" between windows and linux, but that's not the issue, now.)
2) The entire hd1 is Windows XP, which, also, is unimportant right now as GRUB seems to be having issues.
3) I ran the GRUB fix that I later found out to be for Linux Core 2. (I am currently downloading the disc-images for Core 2.)
4) I can get linux to boot using the boot disk I made during the install procedure.
5) I have a boot disk for GRUB, but it doesn't work.
6) If I run a terminal window and run grub and enter "root (hd0,0)" I get an error "Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x93".
7) If I run "grub-install /dev/hda" from the terminal window, I get an error "The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly."
8) If I reboot the system without any boot disk, I get "GRUB Loading stage1.5." and "GRUB loading, please wait..." and "Error 17" (each on its own line.)
Any help would be appreciated and please be fairly specific for this recent Linux "convert" ;v)