LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
Darshan Parab
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2014
Posts: 12

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Get latest update for RHEL systems


Hi all,

I want to get latest package updates for my RHEL systems. I don't any account with RHN so that I can get updates from there. All I'm interested in knowing is that is it possible to get package updates without registering with RHN. And If yes then how. I have read about RHN satellite and RHN proxy. Got really confused. I'll be really thankful if someone can help me out with this.

Thanks...

Darshan
 
Old 01-06-2014, 03:46 AM   #2
jdkaye
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, UK
Distribution: Debian Testing Amd64
Posts: 5,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Why not use CentOS? Otherwise you have to pay for RHEL support, updates, etc.
jdk
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
JJJCR
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,102

Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181
agree with jdkaye, you need to have a valid RHEL support or subscription to get latest update
 
Old 01-06-2014, 04:05 AM   #4
Darshan Parab
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2014
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Right.. Thats what I also came across. What I was thinking is that since its open source, There may be some way to get latest packages other than RHN. And as I have multiple servers, I don't want to give internet access to all the servers. I would build an update server through which systems will get updates. I can configure yum. But I'm looking for more manageable solution. I read a documentation about project spacewalk. There also I guess I would need RHN account if i want to get updates for RHEL.
 
Old 01-06-2014, 04:16 AM   #5
JJJCR
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,102

Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darshan Parab View Post
Right.. Thats what I also came across. What I was thinking is that since its open source, There may be some way to get latest packages other than RHN. And as I have multiple servers, I don't want to give internet access to all the servers. I would build an update server through which systems will get updates. I can configure yum. But I'm looking for more manageable solution. I read a documentation about project spacewalk. There also I guess I would need RHN account if i want to get updates for RHEL.
you can have one server to download all the rpm or all the updates, then copy and install to the server which you want to update but don't want to connect to the internet..but i'm sure there's a better solution out there rather than this manual method.. Hope someone else can give you another idea.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:35 AM   #6
Darshan Parab
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2014
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJCR View Post
you can have one server to download all the rpm or all the updates, then copy and install to the server which you want to update but don't want to connect to the internet..but i'm sure there's a better solution out there rather than this manual method.. Hope someone else can give you another idea.
Okay.. So what I understood by this is that I should update any one server first and then copy all the packages to others. But in that situation also I'll need RHN subscription to update that one server. Anyways.. Do you know any URL from where I can download latest packages? Have you worked with spacewalk anytime?
 
Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,935

Rep: Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692Reputation: 3692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darshan Parab View Post
Okay.. So what I understood by this is that I should update any one server first and then copy all the packages to others. But in that situation also I'll need RHN subscription to update that one server. Anyways.. Do you know any URL from where I can download latest packages? Have you worked with spacewalk anytime?
To be very plain to you: if you want updates to RHEL, then you PAY FOR THEM, period. Once you get the packages on a system, they're there....if you want to then (essentially) steal the updates and put them on 1000 other machines WITHOUT paying, that's up to you.

Personally, I'd use CentOS and make things very easy on myself and NOT be a thief.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
Darshan Parab
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2014
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
To be very plain to you: if you want updates to RHEL, then you PAY FOR THEM, period. Once you get the packages on a system, they're there....if you want to then (essentially) steal the updates and put them on 1000 other machines WITHOUT paying, that's up to you.

Personally, I'd use CentOS and make things very easy on myself and NOT be a thief.
Thanks TBone!!! I guess you have answered my question...
 
Old 01-09-2014, 04:31 AM   #9
JJJCR
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,102

Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Personally, I'd use CentOS and make things very easy on myself and NOT be a thief.
That's the most needed virtue on this world NOT be a thief.

Tell it to all Politicians around the world..NOT be a thief..

A Public servant by name, by action is ALL FOR MYSELF...
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Latest upgrade broke 5 desktop effects that use openGL on 2 systems slackass Slackware 3 04-23-2013 01:20 AM
RHEL latest Patch update without updating OS version Iyyappan Red Hat 8 01-03-2013 08:20 PM
latest kernel for RHEL 4 vetteboy2 Red Hat 8 02-23-2011 09:00 AM
how to find the latest update for RHEL 5 Advanced Server? sathyguy Linux - Enterprise 5 07-24-2008 03:43 AM
Latest version of RHEL? Cheeseboy Red Hat 1 11-24-2004 09:42 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration