LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
sanjaydelhi
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 39

Rep: Reputation: 2
Free PDF Highlighter for Ubuntu


Is there any free PDF highlighter for Ubuntu? I just want to be able to highlight text in pdf files.
 
Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,615
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896
Put the following keywords in Google and hit enter:
Quote:
pdf viewer text highlighting Linux
 
Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
sanjaydelhi
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
Put the following keywords in Google and hit enter:
Are you sure it will give me solution?
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,615
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaydelhi View Post
Are you sure it will give me solution?
Asking such questions is not helpful. The first link you get with those keywords shows you how to do it, read that thoroughly and see for yourself if that's helpful or not.
 
Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
sanjaydelhi
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha Kaul View Post
Asking such questions is not helpful. The first link you get with those keywords shows you how to do it, read that thoroughly and see for yourself if that's helpful or not.
No, I completely disagree.
Answering this way is not only looks rude but also make person feel like he/she is asking something stupid which is not correct.

In today's world even kids know how use google or on any web search engine. And most of the people first use google for solution and if they could not get proper solution, only then post question in the forum. Intention behind posting question in forum is not to waste anyone's time. And if you really feel it waste your time, you can choose not to answer it instead of showing arrogance in the forum. It will certainly not decent way of communication.

So do not try to teach people how to use google. If you have solution, if you feel question has very simple solutions which can be found on google, just ignore and walk ahead.

Good Luck !
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
jschiwal
Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2001
Location: Fargo, ND
Distribution: SuSE AMD64
Posts: 15,733

Rep: Reputation: 654Reputation: 654Reputation: 654Reputation: 654Reputation: 654Reputation: 654
I've seen posts where the provided Google search terms are suggested, but trying them myself, the resulting web sites didn't provide an answer. Simply saying "search google for the answer" is todays version of RTMF. If you provide one of the links you found as well, it would be OK.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 15,348
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaydelhi View Post
In today's world even kids know how use google or on any web search engine.

...
...

So do not try to teach people how to use google. If you have solution, if you feel question has very simple solutions which can be found on google, just ignore and walk ahead.

Good Luck !
There is a difference in knowing how to use Google, and knowing how to find the right keywords. Most people know how to use Google, but a really great part of them doesn't know how to find the right keywords. So if someone answers to me like Anisha did, it could be an attempt to improve my search skills, instead of just pointing me to a link. I would at least try the suggestion, and in this case it seems to bring up more than one link with a solution.
 
Old 01-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,615
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschiwal View Post
I've seen posts where the provided Google search terms are suggested, but trying them myself, the resulting web sites didn't provide an answer.
The first link you get by those keywords is this:
http://lglinux.blogspot.com/2008/01/...hlighting.html

That is a blog which shows how to do that job, I haven't tried its instructions nor I will (till I need it) since it is for the OP to figure that out. But I did read the comments of that blog which said that it was helpful and the blog also looked promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschiwal View Post
Simply saying "search google for the answer" is todays version of RTMF. If you provide one of the links you found as well, it would be OK.
You need to read my second post carefully. I never said, "search Google for the answer" ONLY, in fact I searched Google [specially for OP] with those keywords and found that blog interesting. Those keywords (which were perfect in my view point) didn't result in any specific software which could do it in Linux. So trying out the first link i.e. that blog might have proved to be of some help to the OP.

and now you may ask why I didn't post that blog link directly, reason: most of the newbies do not know the fine art of searching Google to get the desired outcomes, so I do always apply (and would also do in future) this proverb: Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks

Enough said.

Last edited by TheIndependentAquarius; 01-19-2011 at 06:45 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
sanjaydelhi
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
I posted this question not only after doing research myself, but also reading the blogs of people who did research themselves. Having said that,I do not agree with "put these keywords in google and hit enter" is solution ( because I suspect that probably I think you do not know how to put right keywords in google and hit enter, I suggested this solution because I never tried to find pdfwriter for linux, this is why I suspect you do not know how to put right keywords in google. Wow nice logic, and what a decent way to communicatem thank you).

Only thing I can say is people will get discouraged to use Linux. This question is posted in newbie forum. So few things should be assumed and understood.
 
Old 01-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #10
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 15,348
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978
If people get discouraged of Linux, because they have to do a little work themselves, instead being pointed to a direct solution, then they shouldn't use it. My personal opinion.
Have you now even tried that keywords from Anisha, or are you just complaining not to be spoon-fed?
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #11
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,615
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaydelhi View Post
I posted this question not only after doing research myself
The seventh link resulting from those keywords is this:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...-pdf-tools.htm

and the way to run that pdf viewer is shown in the first link!!

One can take a horse to water, but can't make him drink!
 
Old 01-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
sanjaydelhi
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
If people get discouraged of Linux, because they have to do a little work themselves, instead being pointed to a direct solution, then they shouldn't use it. My personal opinion.
I agree.

But how can you assume in the first post itself that people did not try to find solution themselves?

Every one posted above have probably not used pdf highlighter/annotator on linux themselves. Not a single said yes X or Y application does it and that too even after so much debate. So it tells me you asked me to search on google because you do not know it. That is fine. But the way you say it is not good.

When I said I did research, I have read threads like this one

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=752785


Quote:
One can take a horse to water, but can't make him drink!
That is again more prematured remark on assumptions.


Quote:
Have you now even tried that keywords from Anisha, or are you just complaining not to be spoon-fed?
I am not complaining. I am suggesting how better way you can answer a post if you really want to, otherwise just ignore it.

Following is summary of what I tried so far before I posted question here.

Scribus, Inkscape, OpenOffice can all export to PDF's fine. Too bad we are still missing a dedicated editor

Xournal : not a dedicated pdf highlighter, you can somehow highlight a text but really not straight forward because it is not pdf editor/highlighter. It is application to take notes.

Okular : does job well but do not update original pdf file. It saves changes in another xml file so your annotation, highlights can be used only with this application. If you want to use same pdf file on different computer on windows or something like that, your highlights and annotations are not included.

Some people suggest indirect solution like the following

http://www.gnurou.org/blog/2008/09/0...ng_under_linux

But I was seeking direct solution.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
If people get discouraged of Linux, because they have to do a little work themselves, instead being pointed to a direct solution, then they shouldn't use it. My personal opinion.
Instead I would say, if people do not know solution to something, they should not complain that they have to spoon feed newbies. But fact is they do not know solution.

Thank you.
 
Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,615
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896Reputation: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaydelhi View Post
But how can you assume in the first post itself that people did not try to find solution themselves?
Because you asked the question without showing any efforts on your part. (again have a look at your first post).
Did you mention anywhere that you have tried this and that website and faced this and that error messages and tried this and that blog?
Did you simply even mention that you had extensively tried Google?
Time to read this: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaydelhi View Post
But I was seeking direct solution.
PDF-XChange Viewer (see post no. 11) can be run through Wine, you have wasted my time by not mentioning all those facts of post no. 12, in your first post, you should apologize for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaydelhi View Post
Every one posted above have probably not used pdf highlighter/annotator on Linux themselves.
You should be grateful to people who search Google on your behalf and provide you the exact keywords and later on the links too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaydelhi View Post
I am suggesting how better way you can answer a post if you really want to, otherwise just ignore it.
If I didn't want to answer that question, I would not have bothered to provide you the exact keywords [I].

You can't stop other people from posting in your threads because the answer may be helpful to someone else following the thread, you don't want to hear from me, then put me in you ignore list. That way you won't be able to see my replies.

Last edited by TheIndependentAquarius; 01-19-2011 at 09:51 PM.
 
Old 01-20-2011, 03:36 AM   #14
sanjaydelhi
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
PDF-XChange Viewer (see post no. 11) can be run through Wine, you have wasted my time by not mentioning all those facts of post no. 12, in your first post, you should apologize for that!
I don't know which world you live. But I can clearly see you are not matured. You are just arguing without any valid reason. You are senior member and you want me to tell you above? So you want newbie to spoon feed senior memeber?

Quote:
Did you mention anywhere that you have tried this and that website and faced this and that error messages and tried this and that blog?
Did you simply even mention that you had extensively tried Google?
In how many questions people mention that they have searched on google before posting question. It is common sense that people first search on google which will give instant solution (if available), if not available they choose little longer route of posting it in forum which will not give instant solution and may have to deal with unmannered people who do not have even common sense like I am dealing here.

Quote:
You should be grateful to people who search Google on your behalf and provide you the exact keywords and later on the links too.
Oh thank you. Not for searching on my behalf. But accepting you did not know any solution still you created unnecessary debate and wasting everyone's so much time.

Quote:
If I didn't want to answer that question, I would not have bothered to provide you the exact keywords
I never said you did not want to answer question. I always suggested how better way you could have done it.

I can clearly see you are not debating. You are just arguing. Debate is good which increases knowledge and is valid. Arguments are not good. It just waste time. If you want to debate, I can debate further. If you want to argue, then you need to find someone else for that. I don't have time.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 AM   #15
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 15,348
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978Reputation: 3978
So you want to tell the people answering to your threads how they have to answer, but when it comes to how you should have asked your question, you yell at them that they want be spoon-fed with the details what you have already done. And then call others immature?
Welcome to my ignore-list.
 
  


Reply

Tags
highlight, pdf


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vim Syntax Highlighter carlosinfl Linux - Software 2 03-25-2010 08:14 AM
LXer: Five Free PDF viewers for Ubuntu. LXer Syndicated Linux News 1 03-01-2010 07:04 PM
PDF Highlighter Elavarasu M Linux - Newbie 2 06-20-2009 02:03 AM
PDF highlighter for Linux? jimmy2003us Linux - Software 6 03-29-2005 06:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration