Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
guys, i got so many questions it would be better if a find a book on how to use linux...
1. most rpm dont want to install correctly, WHY?
2. how to compile tar or gz.
3. how can i go to my cd drive.
4. where are installed my programs (in what folder) and how to run them.
5. how come i cant see my other partitions (those that are used by windows)
thanks all u guys for your help. if i would have posted this kind of questions on a windows forum i would get only crap, u guys rock!
so far :
1. i will be looking for this urpmi
2. i learned not to even TRY to compile.
3. i somehow managed to install superkaramba and to run it but when i try to load the liquid_weather theme i get: importerror: no module named os. the same thing happens with the other theme i tried : kroller. what is the problem?
Urpmi is a console tool. rpmdrake is the gui front end. You can find rpmdrake in the mandrake control centre. You can also access it through the menu.
To use urpmi you need to type su in a terminal. That'll give ya root access.
Also if you can get your hands on it try to get 10.0 Official, I had alot of probs with the community edition and wound up going back to 9.2 for a while, all probs I had with CE are gone with official. Since I've been running MDK since 9.1 I don't think it was just me. Some people are having no probs at all..I dunno worth thinking about I guess...
well it's strange because i though i downloaded the official version from an official ftp mirror but i saw somewhere i had the community version. is the official one free? is it also 8gb like the community?