Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Can anyone please help?
I am running Mandriva 2006 and Fedora core 4.0 as a dual boot on two hard drives. Although both distros work reasonably well my problem is that I cannot get Mozilla Firefox to access the internet, well this is not quite true as Firefox on Fedora will only access the Red Hat website and to some extent limited access to Mozilla. i.e although I can get into Mozilla I cannot download anything from this site as the program just sits there and sulks.
Regarding Red Hat I can get into the site and download updates but cannot get anywhere else.
The same problem occurs with Mandriva, I can access the home page and no more.
However, using Konqueror on both distros I can access all of my regular websites plus anything else that I wish to.
Kmail is no problem now (I posted a thread some time ago with excellent results).
Checking the Eth0 settings hasn't helped as they are both the same in each case.
My settings in both cases are
'Direct connection to Internet',
'Obtain an IP address automatically.'
I connect via a D-Link ADSL router.
Why then does Konqueror do the business when Firefox won't??
I was running Win2K on one of these drives until recently and had no problems with Firefox so I really cannot understand what I am not doing right.
The problem must lay within your settings in firefox..
'Direct connection to the internet' this is the correct setting if if you access via a ethernet/usb cable w. cable/adsl modem and/or wireless router..
'Obtain IP address automatically'?? I dont know this setting in firefox?
This sounds like a Windows DHCP Client option or MS InternetExplore?
** You should probably already have an IP address assigned to your computer before starting firefox.
given that you can get to some sites you must have an IP and be authenticated.
It really sounds like you hve enabled some 'proxy' settings somewhere.
You said you can get to mozilla.org - from memory this is one of the default 'exceptions' when you turn the proxy options on in firefox.
This means that firefox will not use the proxy to get to any domains in the exceptions area..
for example: if you set mozilla.org in exceptions and then directed firefox to use a proxy/ip that does not exist for normal activity.. then you would probably find mozilla is the only site you can see.
go into firefox and type: 'about:config' in the address bar.
this will bring up a nice configuration utility.
scroll down to 'network.proxy.no_proxies_on' and check that its value is something like: localhost, 127.0.0.1
Thanks for the e-mail and the info. I went into 'root' and did what you suggested and it worked. I am at a loss to understand why things were not working before as all of the settings that you suggested appeared to be OK.
Following this I 'pinged' my homepage plus a few others and all were OK. The next step was to do a 'traceroute' on the same sites and again all were all clear.
I still had problems with my user log-in so I did an 'about:config' on that too.
To my surprise the localhost value was different ans the 'network-proxy..etc' was 'off' so you were dead right with that!
Many thanks for the assistance. I'm getting the hang of it slowly.