hi, i am still a newbie in linux. I've been using Ubuntu for a while on my desktop computer (windows system) with 4GB of RAM but running it graphical with a little bit of command line. I recently got serious did a fresh installation of CentOS 6.4 on my Mac Pro. I was able to finally get the Firefox plugin for java to work in the home directory as an individual user but how do I setup the firefox link for multiple users?
Here's what I did for individual installation:
- downloaded file
- mkdir /home/rhce/java
- cp /home/rhce/Downloads/jdk-8(tab).tar.gz /home/rhce/java
- cd /home/rhce/java
- tar zxvf jdk-8(tab).tar.gz [tab = tab key to autofill directory]
- cd /home/rhce/.mozilla/plugins
- ln -s /home/rhce/java/jdk1.8.0_05/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so
- closed and reopened firefox
to verify java is installed
- got confirmation on page says "you have the recommended java installed (1.8.0_05)
Where I get confused is I would like to use the same step by step format as above and install to say /usr/java. I am trying to use the tar so that I can install applications on any system as opposed to the RPM method so that I can apply to Ubuntu, openSUSE, and/or CentOS ... basically a universal package manager strategy.
Also on another subject, is my system adequately setup?
- Mac Pro 2009 (8-core)
- 16GB of RAM
- 4 x 1TB hard drives
- 2 x DVD/RW drives
- 2 x GT120 video cards [512MB PCIeX16]
- DVI connection to 2 x 23 inch Acer Monitors
- going to add 2 x 2-port Gigabyte NICs (x4) slots from small tree
for additional subnetting.
My present goal is to get my RHCSA certification.