LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   file transfer program in c using FTP client and FTP server (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/file-transfer-program-in-c-using-ftp-client-and-ftp-server-812825/)

renuaseri 06-08-2010 02:26 AM

file transfer program in c using FTP client and FTP server
 
hi all,

i am new in tcp/ip.
i want to write a program using c for file transfer where FTP client and FTP server will be used.
and also this program should work for ipv4 as well as ipv6.and muiltple client can be connect simultaneously.

i dont know how to start program. should i use shell script or socket programming for file transfer?

can we use FTP client and FTP server in socket programming?

so please help me in how to start.



plz give me some hint to start program.

alli_yas 06-08-2010 02:46 AM

Quote:

i am new in tcp/ip.
i want to write a program using c for file transfer where FTP client and FTP server will be used.
and also this program should work for ipv4 as well as ipv6.and muiltple client can be connect simultaneously.
What you're asking doesn't make sense. Explain the problem and the end goal you're trying to achieve. Are you trying to code up an application that hosts an FTP server on the machine; or are you coding up an application that merely FTP's stuff as a client?

Quote:

i dont know how to start program. should i use shell script or socket programming for file transfer?
Well again it depends on what you're trying to achieve. What is the real world problem you're trying to solve; and how does FTP come into it?

There are many API's for FTP/SFTP in C, C#, Java, etcetera. Also you can use bash, perl, python, php etcetera to script FTP communications.

Quote:

can we use FTP client and FTP server in socket programming?
Please explain? Unless you're planning on writing your own custom FTP server/client why would you want to do "socket" programming? In terms of binding to an FTP server, your API would do this for you.

Lastly consider that the machine on which you're coding will need to have your FTP server/client application installed as well (be it vsftp/proftp etcetera).

raghureddii 01-29-2011 05:49 AM

FTP client Server Implementaion in C
 
Hi,

1) I was implemented FTP Client, Server in Socket Programming C,Linux

2) Client can read data from server 100 byes max (i did using arrays)


i want to enhance up to 1GB ??

can any one suggest me how to enhance ???










Quote:

Originally Posted by alli_yas (Post 3996301)
What you're asking doesn't make sense. Explain the problem and the end goal you're trying to achieve. Are you trying to code up an application that hosts an FTP server on the machine; or are you coding up an application that merely FTP's stuff as a client?



Well again it depends on what you're trying to achieve. What is the real world problem you're trying to solve; and how does FTP come into it?

There are many API's for FTP/SFTP in C, C#, Java, etcetera. Also you can use bash, perl, python, php etcetera to script FTP communications.



Please explain? Unless you're planning on writing your own custom FTP server/client why would you want to do "socket" programming? In terms of binding to an FTP server, your API would do this for you.

Lastly consider that the machine on which you're coding will need to have your FTP server/client application installed as well (be it vsftp/proftp etcetera).



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.