LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
1337n00b
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
file system issues with fedora 6


Alright, I have Fedora 6 installed and have been using it. Recently, I added a 160GB hard drive to it for back up purposes. The partition was created, mounted, added and everything else. But I recently deleted that partition and installed XP on it instead.

The File System I was using I think was ext3. But now, I can't boot into FC6 anymore, it gives an error about the file system and prompts me for a password so I can perform maintenance on it.


What should I do?
 
Old 07-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
sadiqdm
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: London, UK
Distribution: openSUSE, Ubuntu
Posts: 358

Rep: Reputation: 35
Sounds like installing XP has blown your Linux bootloader. XP needs to boot from the first available partition, so it may have overwritten the stuff to boot FC6. So a few questions.

Can you boot XP? If so, when you look in My Computer, what drives does it show?

Can you can run fdisk on a command line in XP and give us the output of the list partitions command? I can't remember what it is at the moment, but if you type fdisk -h I think it give you the help screen.

Can you give us the error messages you mention? Without knowing exactly what is happening it is difficult to know what the problems is.
 
Old 07-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
1337n00b
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Sounds like installing XP has blown your Linux bootloader. XP needs to boot from the first available partition, so it may have overwritten the stuff to boot FC6. So a few questions.
Maybe so.
Quote:
Can you boot XP? If so, when you look in My Computer, what drives does it show?
I can boot into XP, but I have to go into disk management to view the hard drive with linux on it.
Quote:
Can you can run fdisk on a command line in XP and give us the output of the list partitions command? I can't remember what it is at the moment, but if you type fdisk -h I think it give you the help screen.
I'll check that out later.

Quote:
Can you give us the error messages you mention? Without knowing exactly what is happening it is difficult to know what the problems is.
Sure, I'll post them later. Probably tomorrow or something.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to mount ntfs file system in FEDORA ? kachmi Fedora 3 03-29-2007 10:26 AM
web server (fedora core 5) became read-only file system after i upload a file nggs8411 Linux - Server 1 03-26-2007 09:23 AM
How to read .chm file in fedora, can't mount ntfs file system ishti_du Linux - Newbie 12 03-06-2007 03:27 AM
Kernel recompile issues with file system docwily Linux - Newbie 2 03-22-2006 01:39 AM
File system issues Marius2 Linux - General 2 08-23-2004 02:38 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration