Originally Posted by csegau
since i have locked all the password in my distro fedora 8 even root password, so i tried to login using init=/bin/sh using edit option in grub
but file system is in read mode so i cannot modify the passwd file and shadow file ...?
so how to mount file system in read-write mode
You're going about this the wrong way.
1. During boot, press keyboard "escape" to enter the grub boot menu.
2. Choose the desired boot choice, then press 'e' for edit.
3. Scroll down to the kernel boot line and press 'e' again. This allows you to edit that line.
4. Add a space and a 1 at the end of the line.
5. Press Enter to quit the edit mode, then press 'b' for boot.
6. This will get you into single-user mode and your drive is mounted r/w.
7. You are automatically root in runlevel 1. Type "passwd" and enter the new password.