LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
Achamenes
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Fedora Core 5: Kernel Source Code and USB Wireless Card


I just recently installed Fedora Core 5 on my system and now I'm trying to get my D-LINK DWL G122 USB Wireless network card to work on it. I know that I should either use either the ndismapper, or the RT25USB driver released by the chip manufacturer. The only problem is that I can't compile anything because apparently, the source code for the linux kernel is not on my system. That is, /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp/build points to some directory that does not exist.

How can I fix this problem? Is there an RPM that installs the source files? If yes, which FC5 CD-ROM contains the code.


Thanks in advance,
Achamenes
 
Old 06-08-2006, 11:54 PM   #2
nadroj
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Canada
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 2,539

Rep: Reputation: 58
look in your package manager for something like kernel-source.
 
Old 06-09-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
phoenix49
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: Azerbaijan/Baku
Distribution: Fedora Core 6 "Zod"
Posts: 179

Rep: Reputation: 30
or kernel-devel
 
Old 06-09-2006, 02:48 AM   #4
Achamenes
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks for the input, but the problem is that my package manager does not even load because it seems it can't access the internet, and of course and I can't access the internet without my wireless card operating.

I downloaded the kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.src.rpm file but trying to install it in FC5 gives the error "can not install source packages". The yum command line utility gives errors about its not being able to access internet repositories.

Please help!
 
Old 06-09-2006, 03:08 AM   #5
phoenix49
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: Azerbaijan/Baku
Distribution: Fedora Core 6 "Zod"
Posts: 179

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achamenes
Thanks for the input, but the problem is that my package manager does not even load because it seems it can't access the internet, and of course and I can't access the internet without my wireless card operating.

I downloaded the kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.src.rpm file but trying to install it in FC5 gives the error "can not install source packages". The yum command line utility gives errors about its not being able to access internet repositories.

Please help!
Download these packages:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...2_FC5.i686.rpm

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...2_FC5.i686.rpm

and install with:

Code:
rpm -ivh kernel*
This will keep your old kernel, and a new entry in grub, if new kernel is ok, just delete old one with rpm -e key.

Good luck!
 
Old 06-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #6
Achamenes
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks a lot for the help. I got it working, and in fact, am sending this message using my wireless connectino from linux

The only big problem I still have is that the wireless still needs a lot of manual hand work to start and it just doesn't connect proberly unless I sigh in as root.

I'm using the ndiswrapper module. Any ideas how to automate the process? Thanks a lot.
 
Old 06-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
phoenix49
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: Azerbaijan/Baku
Distribution: Fedora Core 6 "Zod"
Posts: 179

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achamenes
Thanks a lot for the help. I got it working, and in fact, am sending this message using my wireless connectino from linux

The only big problem I still have is that the wireless still needs a lot of manual hand work to start and it just doesn't connect proberly unless I sigh in as root.

I'm using the ndiswrapper module. Any ideas how to automate the process? Thanks a lot.
You mean "/sbin/ifup xxx" thing ?
What exactly do you execute as root ?
 
Old 06-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
Achamenes
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I don't know about /sbin/ifup xxx but this is what I execute:

modprobe ndiswrapper

But that only enables the wireless card but it apparently does not connect to the network.
Only after I log in to GNOME as root, some application apparently connects to the network and retrieves the IP address. I'm not sure how I can do the same thing using the command line.

Thanks again for all your help.
 
Old 06-11-2006, 01:48 AM   #9
phoenix49
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: Azerbaijan/Baku
Distribution: Fedora Core 6 "Zod"
Posts: 179

Rep: Reputation: 30
I'm sure there's some better option, but this should work:

Code:
gedit /etc/rc.local
Paste there this:

Code:
modprobe ndiswrapper
After this, every time you reboot mashine it will load ndiswrapper module.
 
Old 07-12-2006, 11:44 PM   #10
Do'h
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix49
Download these packages:


and install with:

Code:
rpm -ivh kernel*
This will keep your old kernel, and a new entry in grub, if new kernel is ok, just delete old one with rpm -e key.

Good luck!
I am having the same issue, but the packages you say to download are not there anymore. can you tell me which packages they were?

Thanks
David

sorry fot eh / but i can not post urls yet...
 
Old 07-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #11
phoenix49
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: Azerbaijan/Baku
Distribution: Fedora Core 6 "Zod"
Posts: 179

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do'h
I am having the same issue, but the packages you say to download are not there anymore. can you tell me which packages they were?

Thanks
David

sorry fot eh / but i can not post urls yet...
If your internet connection is ok, try this as root:

Code:
yum -y update kernel kernel-devel
Those kernels I mentioned before are already old ones, but you can always get the newset soft with yum (or graphical frontend for it - yumex)

Also look for your wifi in HCL section of this site, and use "madwifi" rather than ndiswrapper if it possible.
 
Old 07-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #12
Do'h
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
The laptop I installled FC5 on does not have any built in network cards so no internet until i get the wifi installed. The only card i have for it is a wireless that madwifi supports. the problem is it is giving me an error that /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5/build : No such file or directory during the install. I downloaded the newest kernel from kernel.org and will try installing it today to see if it will allow the install of madwifi. The ones I got are linux-2.6.17.tar and patch-2.6.17.tar. I hope these are correct.

Thanks
David
 
Old 07-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #13
phoenix49
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: Azerbaijan/Baku
Distribution: Fedora Core 6 "Zod"
Posts: 179

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do'h
The laptop I installled FC5 on does not have any built in network cards so no internet until i get the wifi installed. The only card i have for it is a wireless that madwifi supports. the problem is it is giving me an error that /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5/build : No such file or directory during the install. I downloaded the newest kernel from kernel.org and will try installing it today to see if it will allow the install of madwifi. The ones I got are linux-2.6.17.tar and patch-2.6.17.tar. I hope these are correct.

Thanks
David
You better try to download and install newest kernel from

Code:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/
find latest kernel and kernel-devel and install with rpm -ivh command as root, then download

Code:
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/5/i386/
all madwifi files (kernel module, driver),

But install it after you reboot to the newly installed kernel.

Good luck!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless support on Fedora Core 5 (using the ipw2100 source/firmware) tollens Linux - Laptop and Netbook 3 07-25-2006 08:19 AM
Where is the kernel source code on the four CDS of Fedora core 3 isaac_linux Fedora 3 03-15-2005 03:37 AM
Fedora Core 3: How to get the kernel source code into the relevant directories? Madhavikutty Fedora 5 03-10-2005 03:52 PM
source for rpms to configure wireless in fedora core 3 pranith Linux - Wireless Networking 0 11-16-2004 06:34 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration