LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
senbon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Posts: 19

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Failed dependencies libssl.so.6 is needed by elog


Hi all,

I am trying to install a software called elog: https://midas.psi.ch/elog/adminguide.html

But every time I try to install the RPM file, the error
Failed dependencies libssl.so.6 is needed by elog comes up.

Any ideas on how i can fix this please, i am running suse enterprise 11 server

Rgds,
 
Old 10-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,919

Rep: Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689
Quote:
Originally Posted by senbon View Post
Hi all,
I am trying to install a software called elog: https://midas.psi.ch/elog/adminguide.html

But every time I try to install the RPM file, the error
Failed dependencies libssl.so.6 is needed by elog comes up.

Any ideas on how i can fix this please, i am running suse enterprise 11 server
You don't say how you're trying to install it. Try running "zypper install /path/to/packagename", which will resolve your dependencies for you, install/update whatever packages it needs to, and install that package. If you're still having problems after that, contacting SuSE support would be a good idea, since you're using a pay-for version of Linux, which entitles you to that support.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
knudfl
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Copenhagen, DK
Distribution: pclos2016, Slack14.1 Deb Jessie, + 50+ other Linux OS, for test only.
Posts: 16,276

Rep: Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153
There is no "libssl.so.6" for SLE 11 ( Or any other Suse*.)

With # zypper in libopenssl-devel
.. you can build an 'SLE 11 package' from the source src, elog-2.9.2-1.src.rpm
http://midas.psi.ch/elog/download/SRPMS/
> http://midas.psi.ch/elog/download/SR....9.2-1.src.rpm

Takes less than a minute : $ rpm -Uvh elog-2.9.2-1.src.rpm
$ rpmbuild -bb elog.spec

-
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
senbon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I tried the first step from TB0ne, the software installed, but could not launch the daemon to start the service.

When i tried to run the daemon service, the following error occured:

elogd
elogd: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory


Trying the other solution from had the errors below:

SUSE:~ # rpm -Uvh elog-2.9.2-1.src.rpm
1:elog ########################################### [100%]
warning: user ritt does not exist - using root
warning: group lke does not exist - using root
SUSE:~ # rpmbuild -bb elog.spec
error: failed to stat /root/elog.spec: No such file or directory
SUSE:~ #


Any advice is ,much appreciated.

Thanks.
 
Old 10-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
senbon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by senbon View Post
I tried the first step from TB0ne, the software installed, but could not launch the daemon to start the service.

When i tried to run the daemon service, the following error occured:

elogd
elogd: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory


Trying the other solution from had the errors below:

SUSE:~ # rpm -Uvh elog-2.9.2-1.src.rpm
1:elog ########################################### [100%]
warning: user ritt does not exist - using root
warning: group lke does not exist - using root
SUSE:~ # rpmbuild -bb elog.spec
error: failed to stat /root/elog.spec: No such file or directory
SUSE:~ #


Any advice is ,much appreciated.

Thanks.
if it helps, below is the command from the first solution i tried.

SUSE:~ # zypper install elog-2.9.2-1.i386.rpm
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

Problem: nothing provides libssl.so.6 needed by elog-2.9.2-1.i386
Solution 1: do not ask to install a solvable providing elog = 0:2.9.2-1
Solution 2: break elog by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c] (c):
 
Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 17,919

Rep: Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689Reputation: 3689
Quote:
Originally Posted by senbon View Post
if it helps, below is the command from the first solution i tried.

SUSE:~ # zypper install elog-2.9.2-1.i386.rpm
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

Problem: nothing provides libssl.so.6 needed by elog-2.9.2-1.i386
Solution 1: do not ask to install a solvable providing elog = 0:2.9.2-1
Solution 2: break elog by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c] (c):
Right...so when you first ran zypper, you must have chosen solution 2, which installs the package and ignores the missing dependency. Like knudfl said, you're missing the openssl development libraries. As suggested before, did you call SuSE support, since you're using a pay for version of Linux??? That entitles you to support.

Go back and re-read the instructions that knudfl gave you, about how to get/install the openssl package, and follow them.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
senbon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Right...so when you first ran zypper, you must have chosen solution 2, which installs the package and ignores the missing dependency. Like knudfl said, you're missing the openssl development libraries. As suggested before, did you call SuSE support, since you're using a pay for version of Linux??? That entitles you to support.

Go back and re-read the instructions that knudfl gave you, about how to get/install the openssl package, and follow them.
Thanks for your reply, yes i did, sorry. I am not a linux admin, so do not have much awareness of this.

I take it that libopenssl-devel is part of OpenSSL, and is specific to each vendor.

I will try to locate one for suse and follow the instructions again. The instructions you sent, installed the dependencies, as it downloaded 6mb worth of data before installing the package, not sure why that did not work. (maybe a silly question, I am trying to understand).

Thanks
 
Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
senbon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by senbon View Post
Thanks for your reply, yes i did, sorry. I am not a linux admin, so do not have much awareness of this.

I take it that libopenssl-devel is part of OpenSSL, and is specific to each vendor.

I will try to locate one for suse and follow the instructions again. The instructions you sent, installed the dependencies, as it downloaded 6mb worth of data before installing the package, not sure why that did not work. (maybe a silly question, I am trying to understand).

Thanks

With # zypper in libopenssl-devel

How do i put zypper in libopenssl-devel? before progressing with the steps mentioned?

Thank you.
 
Old 10-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
senbon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
re:

commands from knudfl, is this because of the openssl not being installed?

SUSE:~ # rpm -Uvh elog-2.9.2-1.src.rpm
1:elog ########################################### [100%]
warning: user ritt does not exist - using root
warning: group lke does not exist - using root

rpmbuild -bb elog.spec
error: failed to stat /root/elog.spec: No such file or directory
 
Old 10-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
knudfl
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Copenhagen, DK
Distribution: pclos2016, Slack14.1 Deb Jessie, + 50+ other Linux OS, for test only.
Posts: 16,276

Rep: Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153
#9.

? ? Why # rpm -Uvh elog-2.9.2-1.src.rpm
when post #3 says $ rpm -Uvh elog-2.9.2-1.src.rpm
I.e. you are supposed to unpack to /home/name/rpm**/ ;
.. and : $ cd /home/name/rpm**/SPEC/ && rpmbuild -bb elog.spec
EDIT : Doesn't seem to work on Suse.
No elog source rpm is unpacked to /home/*/rpm*

But : You actually don't need to build elog.
As is takes 50 seconds, I already did build packages :
64bits : elog-2.9.2-1.SLE11.x86_64.rpm
32bits : elog-2.9.2-1.SLE11.i586.rpm
.. And I will supply a download link, when your architecure is known.
This command will tell : $ uname -m <Enter>

-

Last edited by knudfl; 10-25-2013 at 05:30 PM.
 
Old 10-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 16,818

Rep: Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408
Quote:
How do i put zypper in libopenssl-devel? before progressing with the steps mentioned?


zypper IS THE suse package manager
it IS the program you ARE supposed to be using and NOT rpm ( except in some circumstances )
you type it into the terminal
the "in" command for zypper is the "INSTALL" command
 
Old 10-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
senbon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by knudfl View Post
#9.

? ? Why # rpm -Uvh elog-2.9.2-1.src.rpm
when post #3 says $ rpm -Uvh elog-2.9.2-1.src.rpm
I.e. you are supposed to unpack to /home/name/rpm**/ ;
.. and : $ cd /home/name/rpm**/SPEC/ && rpmbuild -bb elog.spec

But : You actually don't need to build elog.
As is takes 50 seconds, I already did build packages :
64bits : elog-2.9.2-1.SLE11.x86_64.rpm
32bits : elog-2.9.2-1.SLE11.i586.rpm
.. And I will supply a download link, when your architecure is known.
This command will tell : $ uname -m <Enter>

-
Hi,

The uname -m returned the following:

SUSE:~ # uname -m
i686

When I ran rpm -Uvh elog-2.9.2-1.src.rpm, the below output is displayed, from here I am not sure where to go in order to re-buold the rpm. Apologies, I am a total newbie to Linux.

rpm -Uvh elog-2.9.2-1.src.rpm
1:elog ########################################### [100%]
warning: user ritt does not exist - using root
warning: group lke does not exist - using root


I forgot to also mention, that this is contained in a VM.

Thanks.
 
Old 10-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
senbon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post


zypper IS THE suse package manager
it IS the program you ARE supposed to be using and NOT rpm ( except in some circumstances )
you type it into the terminal
the "in" command for zypper is the "INSTALL" command
Hi John,

If zypper is the preferred method for install, then I have done the below:

SUSE:~ # zypper in elog-2.9.2-1.src.rpm
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

Problem: nothing provides libssl.so.6 needed by elog-2.9.2-1.i386
Solution 1: do not ask to install a solvable providing elog = 0:2.9.2-1
Solution 2: break elog by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c] (c): 1
Resolving dependencies...
Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.
SUSE:~ # zypper in elog-2.9.2-1.i386.rpm
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

Problem: nothing provides libssl.so.6 needed by elog-2.9.2-1.i386
Solution 1: do not ask to install a solvable providing elog = 0:2.9.2-1
Solution 2: break elog by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c] (c): 1
Resolving dependencies...
Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.


Not sure what this is exactly done, but I choose option 1 for both.

Thanks.
 
Old 10-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
knudfl
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Copenhagen, DK
Distribution: pclos2016, Slack14.1 Deb Jessie, + 50+ other Linux OS, for test only.
Posts: 16,276

Rep: Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153Reputation: 3153
About "unpacking a source src" :
The $ 'rpm -Uvh elog-2.9.2-1.src.rpm' doesn't seem to work on Suse.
( Unless you set up the "rpm build environment in $HOME" :
#13 http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...1-a-766486/#13 )
But : You did unpack the source package to /usr/src/packages/SPEC/, etc.
.. with # rpm -Uvh elog-2.9.2-1.src.rpm

-
The download link for the installable elog-2.9.2-1.SLE11.i586.rpm :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7S...it?usp=sharing

Please install the downloaded package with zypper :
$ cd Desktop/ ( Or wherever you keep downloaded packages )
# zypper in elog-2.9.2-1.SLE11.i586.rpm

-

Last edited by knudfl; 10-25-2013 at 05:41 PM.
 
Old 10-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 16,818

Rep: Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408Reputation: 2408
suse dose not use the desktop ( some kde "activities" will not even let you)

It uses the ~/Downloads folder in the home folder

BUT " suse enterprise 11 server"
normally there will not be a normal user home folder on a server , there might ....
but gnome or kde are not likely to be installed

and without a gui there likely will not be a Downloads folder in the /root folder
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
error: Failed dependencies: /bin/sh is needed by gsSeqTools-1:2.7-1.i686 ?? blue_devilme Linux - Newbie 3 04-11-2012 12:59 AM
error: Failed dependencies: libcrypto.so.4 and libssl.so.4 tonj Linux - Newbie 4 11-30-2009 05:42 AM
Failed dependencies:libstdc++.so.6 is needed by hp-snmp-agents-8.1.1 sbalvir Linux - Newbie 1 11-12-2008 11:45 PM
libssl.so.5 and libcrypto.so.5 needed, but got libssl.so.6?! Lobais Linux - Software 4 10-08-2008 03:59 AM
error: Failed dependencies: libcrypto.so.4 and libssl.so.4 ddradiks Linux - Newbie 5 07-21-2008 10:07 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration