Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I'm using Slackware 9.1. Zipslack, actually. As far as how I installed Xfree86, here goes. I downloaded all the .tgz files in Windows and then moved them to my Linux directory. When I started up Linux, the files where renamed automatically and didn't end in .tgz anymore, thus I couldn't install them. I tried renaming them in Linux but, for some reason, this caused them to disappear. I went back to Windows. The files where where they should be but not renamed. I renamed them back to their original names and made copies in the Windows folder I originally downloaded them into. Going back to Linux, the names were changed again automatically. I went to the Windows folder where I had saved backups and installed the packages from there. This appeared to work fine and files appear to be where they should be. I didn't get any error messages when installing the packages. I'm going to try to reinstall them. Maybe I just didn't install one of them or something.
as far as i know it is impossible to compile xfree from source under zipslack.
i tried it but the fat32 filesystem screwed it up, mainly because it's case insensitive and the shell scripts/makefiles/whatever are trying to use files with a particular case, and dos/windoze is renaming them (prettifying i think the call it +o(), and they're just not finding them.
maybe there is a pre-compiled xfree available for zipslack, i just gave up and installed redhat when a virus wiped out my windoze install.