LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #1
newer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
encountered a problem when created a samba server


Hi,
I encountered a problem when i tried to create a samba server.
when i excute the command:mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom,it return an error message"mount:No medium found",i am new to linux,so don't know how to resolve it,anybody can help me?
Thanks very much!
 
Old 04-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
TenTenths
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Location: Dublin
Distribution: Centos 5 / 6 / 7
Posts: 2,171

Rep: Reputation: 752Reputation: 752Reputation: 752Reputation: 752Reputation: 752Reputation: 752Reputation: 752
You have a CD in the cd-rom drive right?
 
Old 04-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
catkin
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Tamil Nadu, India
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 8,576
Blog Entries: 31

Rep: Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195Reputation: 1195
Sounds as if the mount command was unable to detect a CD disk in the CD drive. Was there a disk in the drive? Do you have any evidence that the drive is working or not working?
 
Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
newer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTenths View Post
You have a CD in the cd-rom drive right?
Thanks for your reply first,do you mean physical CD or virtual? my machine just a VM,and under the folder "/dev" there are many devices,many marked with "*dvd*" and "*cd*" are just a symbol link of "hdc",and i know nothing about device named "hdc"! thanks again for your reply!!

best wishes!!!
 
Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Erik_FL
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 815

Rep: Reputation: 254Reputation: 254Reputation: 254
What virtual machine program are you using?
What Linux distro (guest OS) are you running inside the virtual machine?
What is the real host OS that is running on the real hardware?

You usually need to use the menu for the virtual machine or virtual machine program to attach the media (ISO file or a real hardware device) to the virtual drive. Some virtual machine programs will automatically detach the media when the CD/DVD drive is ejected by the guest OS.

The device "/dev/cdrom" is usually a symbolic link. You can see the real device name using this command.

Code:
ls -l /dev/cdrom
The link should go to another device such as "/dev/sr0" or "/dev/hdc". Make sure that the device is correct and you have media attached to it in the virtual machine program.

When you mount a CD or DVD it's a good idea to specify the file-system type.

Code:
mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
If Linux is accessing a different device than you expect then it won't mount something that isn't a CD or DVD.

If you are using an ISO file, make sure that it is a valid ISO file. You can use 7zip or other software to look at the ISO file and make sure that the file is really an ISO rather than a ZIP, tar, or some other type. For example, open the file using 7zip. Then in 7zip click "File" and click "Properties". It should display "Type: Iso" in the properties.
 
Old 04-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
newer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_FL View Post
What virtual machine program are you using?
What Linux distro (guest OS) are you running inside the virtual machine?
What is the real host OS that is running on the real hardware?

You usually need to use the menu for the virtual machine or virtual machine program to attach the media (ISO file or a real hardware device) to the virtual drive. Some virtual machine programs will automatically detach the media when the CD/DVD drive is ejected by the guest OS.

The device "/dev/cdrom" is usually a symbolic link. You can see the real device name using this command.

Code:
ls -l /dev/cdrom
The link should go to another device such as "/dev/sr0" or "/dev/hdc". Make sure that the device is correct and you have media attached to it in the virtual machine program.

When you mount a CD or DVD it's a good idea to specify the file-system type.

Code:
mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
If Linux is accessing a different device than you expect then it won't mount something that isn't a CD or DVD.

If you are using an ISO file, make sure that it is a valid ISO file. You can use 7zip or other software to look at the ISO file and make sure that the file is really an ISO rather than a ZIP, tar, or some other type. For example, open the file using 7zip. Then in 7zip click "File" and click "Properties". It should display "Type: Iso" in the properties.
Thanks for your careful explanation,my VM is a remote machine and i connect it by putty,so i don't know about the real os,the VM's OS type is "linux-gnu" and it's host type is "x86_64" version is "red hat 4.1.2-48".I use the command "ls -l /dev/cdrom" it's display the real device is /etc/hdc,but how to make sure have media attached to it? Thanks for your carefully reply again!!
best wished!!!
 
Old 04-24-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.8, Centos 5.10
Posts: 17,241

Rep: Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325
Please show the output of
Code:
cat /etc/*release*

uname -a
for both the VM and the host OS.
 
Old 04-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
newer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism01 View Post
Please show the output of
Code:
cat /etc/*release*

uname -a
for both the VM and the host OS.
Thanks for your replied,
the output after executed the command "cat /etc/*release*" is:"cat: /etc/lsb-release.d: Is a directory
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)" and after executed "uname -a" display "Linux jun-auto-testdriver.test.dns1.us 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP Tue Aug 18 15:51:48 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux".Thanks again!!
best wishes!!!
 
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 AM   #9
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.8, Centos 5.10
Posts: 17,241

Rep: Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325
Is that for the VM OS or the host OS? Or are you saying they are identical?
Want to know both for reference.
 
Old 04-24-2013, 04:38 AM   #10
newer
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism01 View Post
Is that for the VM OS or the host OS? Or are you saying they are identical?
Want to know both for reference.
oh,it just for VM,I don't know about the host OS,because it's a remote machine and i could not get any information of the host,but i guess it was win7/64!!!! Thanks!!
best wishes!!!
 
Old 04-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Erik_FL
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 815

Rep: Reputation: 254Reputation: 254Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by newer View Post
Thanks for your careful explanation,my VM is a remote machine and i connect it by putty,so i don't know about the real os,the VM's OS type is "linux-gnu" and it's host type is "x86_64" version is "red hat 4.1.2-48".I use the command "ls -l /dev/cdrom" it's display the real device is /etc/hdc,but how to make sure have media attached to it? Thanks for your carefully reply again!!
best wished!!!
PUTTY is a terminal emulation program. You probably need another program, or you need to access a web page to configure the virtual machine and attach the ISO file. You are going to have to find out what virtual machine program is on the server/host operating system.

You obviously have no physical access to the server/host computer. To attach a CD/DVD you will need to upload the ISO file to the server/host. Then use the commands or programs for the virtual machine software to attach the ISO file as a virtual CD. There may already be some standard ISO files for operating systems on the server.

How did you obtain access to the remote machine? I'm assuming that someone gave you a user account and password to access the machine. They would be the appropriate person to ask about how to transfer an ISO file to the computer and how to attach it to a virtual machine.

If you can tell me what virtual machine program you are using, and what remote server computer you are using then I will try to answer your question more exactly.

Last edited by Erik_FL; 04-24-2013 at 03:47 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware 13.0 DHCP server - Configuration file errors encountered hejo Linux - Server 2 11-20-2010 04:38 AM
SAMBA - unix user created, added to samba, and valid users on share, still cannot... mitchell7man Linux - Server 12 03-17-2010 09:37 PM
Kernel encountered serious problem F!r3f|y Linux - Software 2 02-24-2010 03:59 PM
the panel encountered a problem Unfit Linux - Newbie 1 04-08-2009 05:55 AM
First problem encountered... minotaur_6 Linux - Newbie 2 02-01-2004 06:48 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration