LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Ricky00
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
Smile Easy File Sharing Web Server for Linux (or equivalent)


Hi.

I am new to Linux and I am looking foward to replace my WinXP Home Server to a Linux Server.

So far, I was able to find any Linux program than can match those used for my old PC (LinuxMint, aMule, Deluge, No-IP, etc..)

However, there is one than I cannot find the equivalent: Easy File Sharing Web Server

This program get me access thru HTTP (not FTP) to my files of my computer. Just by logging on a username/passwword, I was able to upload/download/delete files from my computer. This is very important because I want to access files from my work but the proxy block FTP call and others ports for VNC .

So, is there any equivalent program in Linux than can help me access my computer thru HTTP ? In the last resort I could try to install it with Wine but prefer to find a alternative.

Thank you very much.

Ricky00
 
Old 04-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Zmyrgel
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Finland
Distribution: Slackware, CentOS, RHEL, OpenBSD
Posts: 1,006

Rep: Reputation: 36
That sounds horribly insecure up front.

Does your work computer block outgoing ssh connections? If not you could install ssh server to your PC and mount its partition with sshfs or just move files with scp.
You could always make a ssh tunnel on HTTP port to take a secure connection to your PC.
 
Old 04-15-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
Ricky00
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi Zmyrgel

Thanks for your reply.

First I have to clarify some things:

The program (EFSWS) does use HTTP and HTTPS (using SSL) and I forgot to mention that I setup my WinXP machine to run it only with the SSL connection ONLY.

Second: I don't know about SSH (is it the same as SSL ?)

Third: I work in a environment using HTTP proxy. This sound more complex than a firewall blocking ports. I cannot send any commmand to any port except for HTTP command. Is the solution mention in your reply does work on my envrironment ?

FYI EGPWS look to be made using like a PHP forum. This is not like VNC how ca control the computer, just a shell to be able to transfert file.

Ricky00
 
Old 04-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,049

Rep: Reputation: 378Reputation: 378Reputation: 378Reputation: 378
Run a web server, like apache (I preffer lighttpd for a home machine with low traffic). Then install any php script or your liking, much like you would install phpBB for a forum).

http://www.hotscripts.com/category/p...-manipulation/

There's a lot of stuff in that site with many different kinds of licenses, it can take a bit to find your ideal solution. But I think it's the best option if you don't want to use ftp or ssh.
 
Old 04-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
maresmasb
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 108

Rep: Reputation: 24
SSH is the Secure SHell protocol and it's a means of transferring data in encrypted form. It usually replaces telnet and ftp. Konqueror allows to use SSH connections on a GUI interface.

I assume you have influence on the server configuration, so doing all the file transfers via HTTP is not the only option.

I was under the impresion that netfs is running by default on most Linux systems, providing: "Mounts and unmounts all Network File System (NFS), SMB/CIFS (Lan Manager/Windows), and NCP (NetWare) mount points." And there is also the rather standard NFS service that allows to configure the rpc.* based file transfers. Look for NFS among your system tools and Google for some proper tutorial to configure it for your needs.

You can also modify your ftp and vnc servers to run on different port, if the proxy specifically closes those ports.

If everything else fails, you can still write or get some web script (like PHP, Perl, etc) to upload and download files. Security can be quite compromised by such a scheme.

Last edited by Tinkster; 10-30-2010 at 04:21 PM.
 
Old 04-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
pg99
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 73

Rep: Reputation: 18
how about using webmin for this http://www.webmin.com
 
Old 04-16-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
Ricky00
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi.

Thanks to you all for your answers. If I knew this forum before I would already worked on Linux long time ago.


@i92guboj:
Quote:
Run a web server, like apache (I preffer lighttpd for a home machine with low traffic). Then install any php script or your liking, much like you would install phpBB for a forum).

http://www.hotscripts.com/category/p...-manipulation/

There's a lot of stuff in that site with many different kinds of licenses, it can take a bit to find your ideal solution. But I think it's the best option if you don't want to use ftp or ssh.
I think your solution is the best for me. since I will be the only user accessing my PC remote and don't want to host web pages or FTP, this should be ok.

However, i tried last night to install lighttpd but encounter problem to configure (just before do the MAKE command). Somes libraries were not found (PRCE_DEV, ZLIB and another one). I bypass them before compiling dut don't know if my script will work. I might try it tonght. (BTW, I am using Linux Mint, a Ubuntu derivate).


@Zmyrgel
Quote:
That sounds horribly insecure up front.

Does your work computer block outgoing ssh connections? If not you could install ssh server to your PC and mount its partition with sshfs or just move files with scp.
You could always make a ssh tunnel on HTTP port to take a secure connection to your PC.
If I use Stunnel to secure my link would it be enoght secure for my computer ? I used a program the same name on Windows to create SLL connection, but is this enough ?


@pg99
Quote:
how about using webmin for this http://www.webmin.com
I checked on their website to see the demo but did not work for the normal program, only the PRO version works. However, for the use I needed, thats sound a bit overkill. Perhaps a solution light might be preferable.


I wait for your answers

Many thanks

Ricky00
 
Old 04-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #8
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,049

Rep: Reputation: 378Reputation: 378Reputation: 378Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky00 View Post
If I use Stunnel to secure my link would it be enoght secure for my computer ? I used a program the same name on Windows to create SLL connection, but is this enough ?
All SSL is to make sure that the data transfer will be encrypted. It doesn't help against insecure php frontends. In this regard, you need to choose a frontend that's well known, actively developed and frequently updated. It's -again- like forum software, frequent patches will ensure that you are protected against recently discovered vulnerabilities. Of course you need to maintain it and make sure you are always as up to date as possible.
 
Old 04-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
pg99
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 73

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
However, i tried last night to install lighttpd but encounter problem to configure (just before do the MAKE command). Somes libraries were not found (PRCE_DEV, ZLIB and another one). I bypass them before compiling dut don't know if my script will work. I might try it tonght. (BTW, I am using Linux Mint, a Ubuntu derivate).
Is there any particular reason you want to compile from source rather than use the mint/ubuntu package? If you're new to linux and using a package-based distribution like mint, IMO you really should look at compiling from source as a last resort. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware is a good overview.
 
Old 04-17-2009, 05:55 AM   #10
Ricky00
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi to everyone!

@i92guboj
Quote:
All SSL is to make sure that the data transfer will be encrypted. It doesn't help against insecure php frontends. In this regard, you need to choose a frontend that's well known, actively developed and frequently updated. It's -again- like forum software, frequent patches will ensure that you are protected against recently discovered vulnerabilities. Of course you need to maintain it and make sure you are always as up to date as possible.
Good point !. So far, most of their scripts are rather old, so no patches recently. That does not mean that they are insecure. I would try to search more on Internet to find others recent scripts. But I WILL use SSL anyway.

@pg99
Quote:
Is there any particular reason you want to compile from source rather than use the mint/ubuntu package? If you're new to linux and using a package-based distribution like mint, IMO you really should look at compiling from source as a last resort. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware is a good overview.
First of all, when I learn about the existence of Lighttpd, I Googled it to find theirs website. The site contain only the source code, that's why I tried to compile it.

In LinuxMint, the packages inside does not contain Lighttpd. However, this is based of Ubuntu so I Googled Ubuntu and Lighttpd and found a blog containing a procedure to do it (step-by-step):

http://nanotux.com/blog/the-ultimate-server/

Until now, I didn't know that it was possible to retrieve the program like this:

sudo aptitude install lighttpd lighttpd-doc

Is there is a way to know all application available to install including their description, I will be happy to know, because I may know that I want for a program to do but don't a name for it...



Anyway, so far, I did the procedure to the half. I installed Lighttpd. I still need to configure it, install PHP5 and install the PHP script. Still a long night since I worked only 1 hour per day on the project (at home)

I will get you in touch with the results.

Ricky00
 
Old 04-17-2009, 06:09 AM   #11
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,049

Rep: Reputation: 378Reputation: 378Reputation: 378Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky00 View Post
Hi to everyone!

@i92guboj


Good point !. So far, most of their scripts are rather old, so no patches recently. That does not mean that they are insecure. I would try to search more on Internet to find others recent scripts. But I WILL use SSL anyway.
Of course. Security comes in layers. I never implied that ssl wasn't useful. But you can compare with the following case: a user with an encrypted $HOME partition. It's nice, but... if your neighbor has the password for your account...

It's the same. SSL only means that from point A to B the stream is encrypted. But, just as you see it, any person with your same privileges can see it as well, what it turn means that, if the script is vulnerable, then SSL is pointless.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. It's purpose is very different and very effective.




I don't want to discourage the same solution I proposed I just mean that web applications are a thing that you need to watch over. Forgive me if I am empathizing this a bit too much.
 
Old 04-17-2009, 06:35 AM   #12
pg99
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 73

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Is there is a way to know all application available to install including their description, I will be happy to know, because I may know that I want for a program to do but don't a name for it...
If you look on the Mint wiki http://linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Introduction you'll fnd a PDF user guide with a whole section about installing software using the pre-built packages.

There's the Mint-only version:
Quote:
The easiest way to install software in Linux Mint is to use mintInstall, the Software Manager.
Open MintMenu and select “Software Manager”.
Or the more general Ubuntu and command-line versions:
Quote:
Synaptic & APT
If you want to install more than one application or if you’re looking for something which is not in the Software Portal or in the Software Manager, Linux Mint provides two other ways to install software. One is a graphical tool called “Synaptic” and the other is a command line tool called “APT”.

Open MintMenu and select “Package Manager”.
hth
Phil
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to build a home web server with ftp, file sharing, and some other stuff? lancemac Linux - Newbie 1 11-21-2008 08:38 AM
How might I Setup Home Web Server plus File Server plus Printer Sharing brindamo Linux - Server 3 01-14-2008 01:48 AM
LXer: Easy Sharing with Lotus Quickr Web Services LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-01-2007 05:11 AM
Cannot connect to Linux server with Dreamweaver or Web Easy 6 someday Linux - Server 7 07-09-2007 08:03 PM
Web server/File Sharing Server sschoenb Solaris / OpenSolaris 1 06-24-2004 04:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration