Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
What happens when you comment out the line in fstab (/dev/sr0), and let hal handle the mounting?
In KDE4, there's a widget (or what have you) that notifies you of removable media insertion. Also, in Dolphin, when removable media is inserted the device will appear in the side menu. Clicking this icon will mount it.
If you haven't messed with the udev rules, they should be correct - not a gaurentee though
Out of curiosity, which optical drive do you have? There are known problems with most Sony Optiarc drives.
Last edited by disturbed1; 07-01-2010 at 04:52 PM.
This is an on going problem with Sony Optiarcs and recent kernel/udev releases. It's a circular finger pointing affair. A 100% fix that I know of, upgrade your optical drive - if possible . The obligatory search for firmware updates should be done as well Link
There's plenty of LKML, bugzilla, and universal distro noise about this problem. Take a look at this Ubuntu bug report to see if it's similar to your experience Link
I'm still pretty sure it's not a hardware issue, however. I installed the entire Gnome desktop just now and had no problem accessing optical media (put in the DVD and, just like that, Gnome opened it.)
This does imply that HAL / UDEV is able to access the drive without going through /etc/fstab, since I still have the DVD entry commented out.
Thus, I'm quite certain the issue is just KDE4. Any further thoughts?
Oh, also, does anyone know what the path is to a mounted dvd? I'm not even sure how to access it via the command line (as you can see, I've got decent technical user chops in some regards, and nonexistent ones in others...)
The path to the mounted dvd is what is in your fstab.
You can mount it to another directory with mount /dev/sr0 /another_directory.
Mounting the dvd manually in a terminal should not have anything to do with the desktop you're using.
If the mount command works in gnome it should work in kde or xfce or whatever.
When you have the line commented out in fstab to use hal is when the desktop makes a difference.
Ok...kind of fixed this problem. I'll post the (kludgey) solution here in case anyone else runs into something similar. Basically, there was no .rules file for either of my optical drives in /etc/udev (for *some* reason), so I manually added one, then used a few utilities to figure out where everything was pointing.
I added a file to /etc/udev/:
Here's the entry:
SUBSYSTEM=="block", KERNEL=="hda", SYMLINK+="dvd", GROUP="cdrom"
I ran the Gnome Disk Utility. It verified that it could see the DVD-ROM. I clicked "mount" from there and it mounted it to /media/cdrom0 (I still don't know what configuration file is pointing to that instead of /media/dvd.)
I can now go through Dolphin and get at /media/cdrom0 and access the DVD.
What still does *not* happen is any kind of mount option in KDE when I insert the disc. IMHO, this is a blunder on the KDE developer's part, in removing some very basic and user-friendly functionality. According to what I read in KDE forums, the official excuse for removing automounting is that different users on the same session would somehow trip each other up if they left USB devices mounted. That scenario probably applies to about 5% of end users at the desktop level, while convenient automounting applies to the other 95%.