Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
1. I no longer see the Dell Boot logo at the start of the boot process.
2. The laptop display is dimmed (not due to any physicall settings). I only see the GRUB boot menu thru a second monitor (<fn> <F8> ). The laptop display is so DIMMED that it is difficult to see anything, yet it is not dead.
- Prior to the problems, I experimented with several Suse 9.1 installation attempts. All went well and ran fine on the D800. And that includes installing NVIDIA driver, display proper resolution (1920..), and dual booting with XP.
- Dual booting w/ XP: I always creat multible partitions for XP. With the first Suse install, I dedicated a whole and already created partition for Suse 9.1. GRUB went to the master boot. THIS TIME though, I resized the existing partition where XP's C:\ sits and used it for Linux...
- XP works. Still does. I see GRUB through a second monitor. Then, I toggle to the laptop monitor and it works as well. It still does.
I am lost. There are reports of D800 display burnin, but I am fairly certain that this not the case here. There are reports of BIOS setting regarding display driver, but I don't seem to be able to get to Dell's BIOS. AND the machine other wise functions... Suse 9.1 boots and works, XP does, partitions are ok...
Please do not post the same thread in more than one forum. Picking the most relevant forum and posting it once there makes it easier for other members to help you and keeps the discussion all in one place.