LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Bixie
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Distribution: Ubuntu 8.04
Posts: 13
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
downloading


I am so not computer savvy. I have Ubuntu 8.04. I have been trying to download a program called PCStitch. I need it only to get some free patterns from a site. The PCStitch site only has formats for Windows and Mac. I have e-mailed PCStitch to tell them of my disapointment, because they are only recognizing those formats, with no reply from them. I have installed Wine on my Ubuntu system. That's pretty much where I am. I know there must be a way to do this with Linux.

Thank You
 
Old 07-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
{BBI}Nexus{BBI}
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Nottingham, UK
Distribution: Mageia 4
Posts: 4,296

Rep: Reputation: 205Reputation: 205Reputation: 205
If you have wine installed, double click the PCStitch program and the installer should launch. Follow the instructions to install the program. There are plenty of free patterns on other sites. Why use a site that requires you to have a particular program in order to access its patterns?
 
Old 07-31-2008, 12:15 AM   #3
Bixie
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Distribution: Ubuntu 8.04
Posts: 13
Blog Entries: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by {BBI}Nexus{BBI} View Post
If you have wine installed, double click the PCStitch program and the installer should launch. Follow the instructions to install the program. There are plenty of free patterns on other sites. Why use a site that requires you to have a particular program in order to access its patterns?
I am not able to open the file after it's downloaded.
 
Old 07-31-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
jay73
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
What do you mean exactly? Does is fail to run? Any error messages?
 
Old 07-31-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
{BBI}Nexus{BBI}
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Nottingham, UK
Distribution: Mageia 4
Posts: 4,296

Rep: Reputation: 205Reputation: 205Reputation: 205
Try right-clicking the PCStitch_Inst.exe. See if you have the option to Open with wine or just Open with. If you only have Open with left click it, then type wine in the blank box. You might also consider installing wine-doors to help you setup a fake winblows environment. See screenshots here: http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/?page_id=5
 
Old 07-31-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Desktop- Debian Lenny, Laptops- Ubuntu 8.10, Debian Lenny UMPC- Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 1,297

Rep: Reputation: 55
Well, just for the sake of being helpful, I just installed the program, and it appears to work fine... Granted, I have no clue what I'm doing, but all the menus, options, etc, seem to work fine. I tested the "standard" free version, not the pro version.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...Screenshot.jpg

How did you install Wine?

Try this if you're sure wine is installed properly

Download the PCStitch.exe
Open a terminal(Applciations/Accesories/Terminal)
type wine at the terminal prompt, then before hitting enter, drag the .exe file into the terminal window. You should get an output similar to this...(Note, make sure there's a space between wine and the ' that starts the path to the file)

Code:
ken@ubuntu:~$ wine '/home/ken/Desktop/PCStitch_Inst.exe'
Once that is done, hit enter. It will take a second, but it should go through the install process w/o any issues. Once its done installing, hit Finish, and it should be under Applications/Wine/Programs/PCStitch.

IGF
 
Old 07-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
{BBI}Nexus{BBI}
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Nottingham, UK
Distribution: Mageia 4
Posts: 4,296

Rep: Reputation: 205Reputation: 205Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
...type wine at the terminal prompt, then before hitting enter, drag the .exe file into the terminal window. You should get an output similar to this...(Note, make sure there's a space between wine and the ' that starts the path to the file)

Code:
ken@ubuntu:~$ wine '/home/ken/Desktop/PCStitch_Inst.exe'
Nice bit of info

I can also confirm the standard free version installs and runs under wine.
 
Old 08-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Bixie
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Distribution: Ubuntu 8.04
Posts: 13
Blog Entries: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
PCStitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by {BBI}Nexus{BBI} View Post
Nice bit of info

I can also confirm the standard free version installs and runs under wine.
Nexus, Could you respond for me, IndyGunFreak has not and I still can not install PCStitch. I keep getting an error message as follows:

Feature: Program files
Component: Flosses
File: C:\windows\profiles\nancy\MyDocuments\Flosses

I have no idea where "flosses" comes from. When I set up to install which folder it's only MyDocuments, not with "Flosses" at the end. It is placed there but not by me. I hope you can help. I am trying to download this, not for the program but for the free patterns from a site. The site has only been able to get PCStitch to download their patterns.

Thanks
Nancy
 
Old 08-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Desktop- Debian Lenny, Laptops- Ubuntu 8.10, Debian Lenny UMPC- Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 1,297

Rep: Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixie View Post
Nexus, Could you respond for me, IndyGunFreak has not and I still can not install PCStitch. I keep getting an error message as follows:

Feature: Program files
Component: Flosses
File: C:\windows\profiles\nancy\MyDocuments\Flosses

I have no idea where "flosses" comes from. When I set up to install which folder it's only MyDocuments, not with "Flosses" at the end. It is placed there but not by me. I hope you can help. I am trying to download this, not for the program but for the free patterns from a site. The site has only been able to get PCStitch to download their patterns.

Thanks
Nancy
Are you sure you've installed Wine?

Again, how did you install Wine..

IGF
 
Old 08-03-2008, 12:39 AM   #10
jay73
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 130Reputation: 130
I see that they have different versions. I would think that the one for XP works best.
 
Old 08-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #11
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Desktop- Debian Lenny, Laptops- Ubuntu 8.10, Debian Lenny UMPC- Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 1,297

Rep: Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay73 View Post
I see that they have different versions. I would think that the one for XP works best.
Thats a good point, and one I didn't think about. I'm not positive, but I imagine I installed the XP verison. I'm guessing he does not have wine installed properly, because it installed with zero problems at all for me.

IGF
 
Old 08-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #12
{BBI}Nexus{BBI}
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Nottingham, UK
Distribution: Mageia 4
Posts: 4,296

Rep: Reputation: 205Reputation: 205Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I'm guessing he does not have wine installed properly, because it installed with zero problems at all for me.

IGF
I agree. I installed the xp version. The vista version just hangs at installing MS .NET Framework 2.0... Do you have Wine listed in your system menu? In particular Wine Configurator?
 
Old 08-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Desktop- Debian Lenny, Laptops- Ubuntu 8.10, Debian Lenny UMPC- Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 1,297

Rep: Reputation: 55
I think this is a Wine issue, or user malfunction(or a combination of both)... Doesn't make sense we both installed it w/o issue, and he's having these issues. I didn't do anything w/ winecfg to make this work.

IGF
 
Old 08-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
Bixie
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Distribution: Ubuntu 8.04
Posts: 13
Blog Entries: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
downloading

I told you guys I was a Newbie. And by the way I am a lady.HA
Wine is installed, I checked that,in my applications. The problem is when I get to the "select a program folder". I selected the file to go to MyDocuments, but I don't know what to put in the program folder.

I have little or no computer exp. so all this "hardware" "program" stuff I get confused.
I want to thank all of you for you help.
Thanks Nancy
 
Old 08-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Desktop- Debian Lenny, Laptops- Ubuntu 8.10, Debian Lenny UMPC- Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 1,297

Rep: Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixie View Post
I told you guys I was a Newbie. And by the way I am a lady.HA
Wine is installed, I checked that,in my applications. The problem is when I get to the "select a program folder". I selected the file to go to MyDocuments, but I don't know what to put in the program folder.

I have little or no computer exp. so all this "hardware" "program" stuff I get confused.
I want to thank all of you for you help.
Thanks Nancy
It doesn't matter what folder you choose, just take the default that is there. You shouldn't need to "enter" anything.. just keep hitting next until it says finish, and just take the defaults.

IGF
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
downloading :S akcid Linux - Newbie 7 07-25-2006 12:45 AM
help for downloading megadsonic Mandriva 2 04-02-2006 11:40 AM
downloading virtualking Linux - Software 1 06-04-2003 08:23 AM
downloading monkeyjiann Linux - Newbie 5 01-31-2002 02:37 PM
downloading help silent_trooper Linux - Software 1 01-13-2001 09:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration