LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2007, 08:55 AM   #16
narcispy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42
Start gedit as root, or (again as root) use the cp command to copy the xorg.conf. However, make sure you back up the existing xorg.conf on your installed version so that you can revert if you need to.

You could also post the xorg.conf from your installed version, maybe we can spot something.
Well thats what I was trying to do when gedit came up but saveas wouldn't let me save it to any drives but the virutal one that live cd creates so that left out anything else. I tried my thumb drive but it wouldnt recognize it.

The xorg on my installed version says everything is like "default" like the monitor type. But in live cd it recognizes that it is infact a "sceptre" lcd
 
Old 06-22-2007, 11:14 AM   #17
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,803
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416
Quote:
I tried my thumb drive but it wouldnt recognize it.
Did you try to mount the thumb drive? I can see that the CD distro would make any hard drives read-only, but a thumb drive should be writable. Also, if you have access to an internet connection (either wired or wireless) while in the CD distro, you could try to email yourself.

Quote:
The xorg on my installed version says everything is like "default" like the monitor type. But in live cd it recognizes that it is infact a "sceptre" lcd
The monitor isn't likely to have any impact on the availability of 3d effects, that is going to be the driver and settings. One thing that occurs to me is that Ubuntu might have a utility for configuring your X settings. I know in Slackware you have to run xorgconf before you can really use X, but I don't know about Ubuntu.
 
Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #18
narcispy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42
Did you try to mount the thumb drive? I can see that the CD distro would make any hard drives read-only, but a thumb drive should be writable. Also, if you have access to an internet connection (either wired or wireless) while in the CD distro, you could try to email yourself.



The monitor isn't likely to have any impact on the availability of 3d effects, that is going to be the driver and settings. One thing that occurs to me is that Ubuntu might have a utility for configuring your X settings. I know in Slackware you have to run xorgconf before you can really use X, but I don't know about Ubuntu.
Yeah, it won't let me save it to anywhere but the desktop or the virtual drive its actually booting off of. I guess I can try taking the file from the desktop and emailing it to myself.

Well the driver and settings, it seems it's running the same driver as my other installation according to the xorg.conf
 
Old 06-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #19
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,803
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcispy
Well the driver and settings, it seems it's running the same driver as my other installation according to the xorg.conf
Which probably means something like glx and/or dri aren't loaded. Check to make sure that you've got the lines

Load "glx"
Load "dri"

Uncommented and near the end of the file you see something like:

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

And that should be uncommented as well.
 
Old 06-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #20
lleb
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Florida
Distribution: CentOS/Fedora
Posts: 2,630

Rep: Reputation: 495Reputation: 495Reputation: 495Reputation: 495Reputation: 495
http://sabayonlinux.org/

enjoy a great and powerful distro, but be ready to have a powerful CPU, lots of ram and a good GPU if you want to run beryl.
 
Old 06-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #21
Vincent_Vega
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Distribution: Slackware & Arch
Posts: 825

Rep: Reputation: 31
Sabayon is just way too bloated for me and seem so to be bordering on the side of unstable. That's just my 2 cents for that.
With all that you're going through, I would say to take the time to learn a few simple things and go with Slackware. You'll be better off in the end I think. You'll get to learn a lot more about how linux works and once you know that you'll realize just how screwed up some of these other "point-and-click" distros really are.
 
Old 06-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #22
narcispy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42
Which probably means something like glx and/or dri aren't loaded. Check to make sure that you've got the lines

Load "glx"
Load "dri"

Uncommented and near the end of the file you see something like:

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

And that should be uncommented as well.

I had that in my xorg and it doesn't work.
 
Old 06-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #23
crashmeister
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Distribution: t2 - trying to anyway
Posts: 2,541

Rep: Reputation: 47
What driver - the Ati driver or the xorg driver?

Just to be on the safe side - you don`t have a mobo with an nforce3 250 chipset,right?

Post you xorg log file (it`s in /var/log) but just the end and/or the parts marked with an E at the start of the line.

If everything fails you`ll have to use slackware
 
Old 06-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #24
narcispy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmeister
What driver - the Ati driver or the xorg driver?

Just to be on the safe side - you don`t have a mobo with an nforce3 250 chipset,right?

Post you xorg log file (it`s in /var/log) but just the end and/or the parts marked with an E at the start of the line.

If everything fails you`ll have to use slackware
K I'm using the xorg driver flgrx. We were working on it for quite a while on IRC with the ubuntu group and finally gave up. I have the log for the drivers I'm using right now which are the ATI ones that it uses stock on the system and it still has errors, I'm pretty sure its running in software mode on these too, or atleast it seems.

(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/wacom
No such file or directory.
Error opening /dev/input/wacom : Success
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/wacom
No such file or directory.
Error opening /dev/input/wacom : Success
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/wacom
No such file or directory.
Error opening /dev/input/wacom : Success

I'm trying to understand is there 3 different drivers I'm using here: flgrx, ati and the ati drivers from their website or are those the same ones as ati just not updated yet? FLGRX is the one that we tried getting to work for a long time with no work.
 
Old 06-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #25
crashmeister
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Distribution: t2 - trying to anyway
Posts: 2,541

Rep: Reputation: 47
There are two drivers:
fglrx is the driver from ATI (closed)
ati or radeon is the driver that comes with xorg (open source)

The messages you got there are about a wacom tablet that has nothing to do with 3d.

Look for something with fglrx or ati or radeon.

Try first to do lspci.If you et something like this:
00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb Host Bridge
You can forget about stable 3d and wait for a bugfix in the kernel.

Otherwise have a look at here http://www.stanchina.net/~flavio/deb...installer.html

Thats for Debian but it should be close enough to Ubuntu.
 
Old 06-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #26
narcispy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmeister
There are two drivers:
fglrx is the driver from ATI (closed)
ati or radeon is the driver that comes with xorg (open source)

The messages you got there are about a wacom tablet that has nothing to do with 3d.

Look for something with fglrx or ati or radeon.

Try first to do lspci.If you et something like this:
00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb Host Bridge
You can forget about stable 3d and wait for a bugfix in the kernel.

Otherwise have a look at here http://www.stanchina.net/~flavio/deb...installer.html

Thats for Debian but it should be close enough to Ubuntu.
I figured out what it was and it wasn't anything I was thinking it would be. It is because I was using DVI on my monitor and supposedly fglrx doesn't support that ... yet anyways. I now have it running quite nicely with beryl
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for distro with wiki preinstalled joseph_k Linux - Distributions 1 06-08-2007 08:50 PM
preinstalled drivers Jackaroo Linux - Hardware 0 03-17-2004 02:39 PM
laptops without XP preinstalled! Gill Bates General 4 11-24-2003 05:05 AM
WebMin preinstalled in any Distro? poortl9109 Linux - General 4 08-05-2003 12:48 PM
Preinstalled in RH8? iJasonT Linux - Software 13 03-29-2003 11:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration