LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
narcispy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 27

Rep: Reputation: 15
distro with wireless preinstalled


Does anyone know any distros besides ubuntu that come preinstalled with madwifi or a similar wireless connectivity program?
 
Old 06-19-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Vincent_Vega
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Distribution: Slackware & Arch
Posts: 825

Rep: Reputation: 31
Why not just install madwifi? Slackware is a great distro and installing madwifi is simple enough. So what's your reasoning for that requirement?
 
Old 06-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
jan-portugal
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: Portugal
Distribution: openSUSE 12.1/KDE & LXDE
Posts: 49

Rep: Reputation: 15
They all do, but probably not for your card.
 
Old 06-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
narcispy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Vega
Why not just install madwifi? Slackware is a great distro and installing madwifi is simple enough. So what's your reasoning for that requirement?
Because I had problems with it and Fedora 7 I posted about it in this forum.
 
Old 06-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
narcispy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan-portugal
They all do, but probably not for your card.
My card works with madwifi
 
Old 06-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
custangro
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: California
Distribution: Fedora , CentOS , RHEL
Posts: 1,970
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 208Reputation: 208Reputation: 208
Have you tried PCLinuxOS?
 
Old 06-19-2007, 09:03 PM   #7
Vincent_Vega
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Distribution: Slackware & Arch
Posts: 825

Rep: Reputation: 31
What wireless card are you using? For some distros I have not used madwifi for an Atheros card by using ndiswrapper instead. Depends of the distro I guess. Zenwalk is a decent distro; Ubuntu is one of the best and most popular; Slackware is the king of Linux. I would suggest starting with one of them but there are plenty of people who would have other suggestions, such as PCLinuxOS above. You'll have to decide.
 
Old 06-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
narcispy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Vega
What wireless card are you using? For some distros I have not used madwifi for an Atheros card by using ndiswrapper instead. Depends of the distro I guess. Zenwalk is a decent distro; Ubuntu is one of the best and most popular; Slackware is the king of Linux. I would suggest starting with one of them but there are plenty of people who would have other suggestions, such as PCLinuxOS above. You'll have to decide.
Um its a dlink, one of the ones thats pci but has an external antenna. Reason I really want a built in wireless is for the fact I'm not very familiar with linux so I want to make it easier on myself since it's going on my only computer at home thats working fully. Makes it a lot easier if my internet is working already so I can research for other problems or to figure out how things work (reason I am installing linux). I am a help desk person in my day job so this will help me out with learning how linux works.
 
Old 06-20-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
custangro
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: California
Distribution: Fedora , CentOS , RHEL
Posts: 1,970
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 208Reputation: 208Reputation: 208
Have you considered ndiswrapper? It takes the windows driver and uses it for linux. You can read more here:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/

I think (i'm not sure) that ndiswrapper is installed by default in ubuntu. But if it's not you can install it via:

Code:
sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper
Also, if you have Fedora, you can (as root):

Code:
yum -y install ndiswrapper
You can also find more information about using ndiswrapper here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...Ultimate_Guide

Also, you can go a google search at:

www.google.com/linux

I always find TONS of information there...
I realize that you must be connected to the internet in order to use apt-get and yum (kinda of a chicken-egg thing), but then again...how are you asking this on an online forum without internet connection...hmm...


-custangro
 
Old 06-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,803
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416
When it comes to wireless, all distros are pretty much on an even footing. The support of wireless, or lack thereof, doesn't vary a whole lot. You're better off choosing a distro for other reasons and then get wireless to work.

With that said, my experience here is that the various Fedora flavors are about the worst for wireless, so any distro is likely to be an improvement.
 
Old 06-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #11
narcispy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42
When it comes to wireless, all distros are pretty much on an even footing. The support of wireless, or lack thereof, doesn't vary a whole lot. You're better off choosing a distro for other reasons and then get wireless to work.

With that said, my experience here is that the various Fedora flavors are about the worst for wireless, so any distro is likely to be an improvement.
True. I downloaded open suse so I have Fedora, Ubuntu and opensuse to pick from now. Ubuntu just has a problem with my ati card not having 3d effect support and I can't get the driver to work for it. Been playing with it for the last 4 days and I have pretty much given up with it working. Yet it worked fine on Fedora and it works fine if I'm running Ubuntu off the live cd. No clue why it doesn't work in the installed version.
 
Old 06-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #12
coolb
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Distribution: Gentoo 2006.1(2.6.17-gentoo-r7)
Posts: 222

Rep: Reputation: 30
doesn't knoppix have that stuff?
 
Old 06-21-2007, 08:08 AM   #13
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,803
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcispy
True. I downloaded open suse so I have Fedora, Ubuntu and opensuse to pick from now. Ubuntu just has a problem with my ati card not having 3d effect support and I can't get the driver to work for it. Been playing with it for the last 4 days and I have pretty much given up with it working. Yet it worked fine on Fedora and it works fine if I'm running Ubuntu off the live cd. No clue why it doesn't work in the installed version.
Weird, but the Ubuntu CD is probably doing a better job at detecting your hardware. What I would do is boot from the CD and have a look at lsmod and see what driver it is using. Then boot from the disk and see if it is the same driver.
 
Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 PM   #14
narcispy
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42
Weird, but the Ubuntu CD is probably doing a better job at detecting your hardware. What I would do is boot from the CD and have a look at lsmod and see what driver it is using. Then boot from the disk and see if it is the same driver.

Ok, I'll try that and see what it says.

Okay I booted it up and it says this in lsmod:

radeon 126368 3
drm 103464 4 radeon


Also the xorg.conf looks like it's running the ati stock driver, which is the one I'm using on the installed copy. I was trying to figure out how to copy this xorg.conf on this live cd version to the installed copy version but I don't know the proper command for it since it won't let me do a save as to a mounted drive in gedit. It still shows up in the live cd that I have a new ati driver to install under the Restricted Drivers tab but it requires a reboot which then makes live cd no longer boot or save that driver. Is there a way to copy all of these driver settings, drivers and everything from the live cd to my installed copy???

Last edited by narcispy; 06-21-2007 at 10:58 PM.
 
Old 06-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #15
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,803
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416Reputation: 416
Quote:
I was trying to figure out how to copy this xorg.conf on this live cd version to the installed copy version but I don't know the proper command for it since it won't let me do a save as to a mounted drive in gedit.
Start gedit as root, or (again as root) use the cp command to copy the xorg.conf. However, make sure you back up the existing xorg.conf on your installed version so that you can revert if you need to.

You could also post the xorg.conf from your installed version, maybe we can spot something.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for distro with wiki preinstalled joseph_k Linux - Distributions 1 06-08-2007 09:50 PM
preinstalled drivers Jackaroo Linux - Hardware 0 03-17-2004 03:39 PM
laptops without XP preinstalled! Gill Bates General 4 11-24-2003 06:05 AM
WebMin preinstalled in any Distro? poortl9109 Linux - General 4 08-05-2003 01:48 PM
Preinstalled in RH8? iJasonT Linux - Software 13 03-29-2003 12:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration