LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
Cabhan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Did I mess up my HD installing LinuxMint?


I copied the ISO to a CD+R (I don't know why I thought that would work) and rebooted. Halfway through I pulled the disc out and Windows would not finish booting up. I restarted but same thing. I took the HD out and put it in another computer. In Windows Computer Management, the disk shows "(G 931.51 GB RAW"

Did I just lose everything that disk? There wasn't anything very important and nearly everything was backed-up, but I would really like to have that disk back.

And what happened here?
 
Old 07-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Kustom42
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Distribution: Red Hat
Posts: 1,604

Rep: Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414Reputation: 414
Did you actually begin the install of LinuxMint? What happened when you attempted to boot off the CD?

You may just have a bad MBR and can rebuild it with the Windows recovery tools.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabhan View Post
And what happened here?
No clue. In general, it's not good to "pull a disk out" when the computer is running, booting, etc. In this case, you say it was booting Windows (ignoring the CD, as expected)---I can't see how ejecting a CD could cause a problem.

You can probably recover some data, but only if you are very careful to do nothing that would cause a write to the disk. The standard tools are "testdisk" and "photorec"--both available here:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/
 
Old 07-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Cabhan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustom42 View Post
Did you actually begin the install of LinuxMint? What happened when you attempted to boot off the CD?

You may just have a bad MBR and can rebuild it with the Windows recovery tools.
I'm not sure if it was installing. I remember recovery tools showing up, but that was after like forty minutes. And even then all I had was a background image and a pointer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany View Post
No clue. In general, it's not good to "pull a disk out" when the computer is running, booting, etc. In this case, you say it was booting Windows (ignoring the CD, as expected)---I can't see how ejecting a CD could cause a problem.

You can probably recover some data, but only if you are very careful to do nothing that would cause a write to the disk. The standard tools are "testdisk" and "photorec"--both available here:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/
Thank you for the tool links. I'll see what I can get.

I want to get into programming and decided to start with a Linux system, what with all the compilers available. This is a 'fun' start.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware
Posts: 6,871

Rep: Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249Reputation: 1249
Your original post isn't really clear. You need to burn the ISO file as an image. How were you doing this copying? Were you doing it from a windows operating system. You indicate you "copied" the ISO then rebooted and "pulled the disk out". Does this mean you pulled the disk (CD) out while you were trying to reboot windows? I also can't see how removing this CD with copied data during a boot would cause this problem. From what you have posted I don't see how you could have started an installation. More specifics on exactly what happened might help.
 
Old 07-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
KurtBleach
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey, USA
Distribution: openSUSE 13.1
Posts: 21

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
From what you have posted I don't see how you could have started an installation. More specifics on exactly what happened might help.
I had a similar problem. I tried to do a dual boot with Windows XP and openSUSE. I had done such a thing before back in the day when I was running Win 98SE and I dual booted with Red Hat, but I was on dialup then.
This time I tried to dual boot openSUSE with Win XP, but I was connected with a wireless dongle. When I went to run the ISO disk that I got, since I couldn't connect to the net through the dongle, I couldn't access the repos I needed to install SUSE. When the installation program ran from the ISO disk, I think it overwrote my MBR for Windows, since every time I tried to reboot I got the black screen with "error loading operating system".
The only way I managed to get to where I am now running Linux was to physically connect my PC to the router with a cat5 cable.
Maybe the starter of this thread is on a wireless.
You here at LQ should start a pinned thread: Do Not Try To Install Linux Unless You Have A Physical Connection!
I have tried (with much expert advice) to get my wireless dongle to work, and it has always failed.
Please tell people this before they fry their Windows trying to dual boot.
 
Old 07-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
guyonearth
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Location: USA
Distribution: Mint
Posts: 410

Rep: Reputation: 82
Removing a CD while the computer is booting would have zero effect on the hard drive. I think the failure is just a coincidence.
 
Old 07-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Cabhan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
Your original post isn't really clear. You need to burn the ISO file as an image. How were you doing this copying? Were you doing it from a windows operating system. You indicate you "copied" the ISO then rebooted and "pulled the disk out". Does this mean you pulled the disk (CD) out while you were trying to reboot windows? I also can't see how removing this CD with copied data during a boot would cause this problem. From what you have posted I don't see how you could have started an installation. More specifics on exactly what happened might help.
I dragged and dropped the ISO to the CD. I do know better than that, I don't know why I tried to install it that way. One of those moments, you know? After I copied it, I restarted and once the BIOS or Windows logo appeared (I don't remember when exactly) I pulled out the disc. Then Windows logo stayed glowing for about ten minutes before I held down the power button.

Anyway, I have since installed LinuxMint on a USB and used that to install on a fresh hard drive. Everything there is working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonearth View Post
Removing a CD while the computer is booting would have zero effect on the hard drive. I think the failure is just a coincidence.
Yeah, I didn't expect that to cause a problem, but the drive is only a few months old and it feels like I did something to cause the failure. I might have pushed the reset button, too, I don't remember.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] installing linuxmint-11-lxde-cd-32bit S. Chapelin Linux Mint 7 01-27-2012 11:25 AM
installing a second Distro will this mess up Grub Shadowmeph Linux - Newbie 12 09-16-2008 01:36 PM
Lost my previously installed LinuxMint after installing PCLinuxOS2008 gnome edition thoufeeq.mohd Linux - Newbie 1 08-03-2008 03:48 AM
Installing GRUB after mess up dangerousdave Linux - Software 3 10-08-2005 12:26 PM
installing is gtk+-2.0 is a mess! pangox and libpng prob. r4f Linux - Newbie 3 09-25-2004 01:02 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration