Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
i've recently installed fedora core 2 on my system, and normally connect to the internet via an external dialup modem. Linux identifies it as: "Ambient 3200 56k Modem"
i'm able to connect to my ISP via kppp, however once connected, i can't view any webpages, make any ssh connections, use any messaging clients...pretty much utilise any part of the connection.
I'm not sure whether this is a driver issue (as it was able to connect) or an issue with security settings. Either way, i'm not sure how to go about fixing this. Previously I had Redhat 9 installed, and i had none of these problems whatsoever...
is anyone able to shed some light on my situation, or point me in the right direction?
1. modem connection
in kppp you can querry the modem (if I remember right there is a modem tab that can be accessed as part of setting-up an ISP) it is worth checking that the PC is talking to the modem properly.
2. also if you check the view log box on the kppp dialog (pretty sure its called that -I'm at work on my lunch break in front of a win 2K machine) you an see if the logon is successful
3. I also used minicom when I had connection issues but kppp log gnerally seems to be enough
when I ran Mandrake 9.2 it would display the ISP name on the toolbar but the ppp deamon had "died unexpectedly" (in my case this was random and could be 1-5 minutes after logon) but this was on a pop-up window that was often hidden . When this happens no internet functions will work , in my case this was due to too much load on the line.
my modem is definately detected, as i had originally queryed it in kppp, coming up with expected results.
another thing is that upon running cat /etc/sysconfig/hwconf my modem is not listed there
from pinging striaight ip addresses, i do get results, but not from piniging through the URL. i can also access these ip addresses via mozilla, e.g. the LQ ip, google's ip and yahoo, but no images are loaded.
that sequence of commands shows this.
#service iptables stop
$ ping -c 4 linuxquestions.org
ping: unknown host linuxquestions.org
$ ping -c 4 18.104.22.168
PING 22.214.171.124 (126.96.36.199) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 188.8.131.52: icmp_seq=0 ttl=51 time=416 ms
64 bytes from 184.108.40.206: icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=417 ms
64 bytes from 220.127.116.11: icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=407 ms
64 bytes from 18.104.22.168: icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=430 ms
--- 22.214.171.124 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3003ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 407.933/418.292/430.926/8.226 ms, pipe 2
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
not sure if that resolv.conf file should contain anything...but it's blank at the moment
its all a bit confusing, as the modem *does* appear to work, but only for some things..
Had the exact same problem,installed FC2 went to kppp and configured dial-up to my ISP hit connect button on the gui heard the connection being made and thought I was about to browse the net.NOT! Tried Mozilla and Konquerer but no luck.queried the modem and everything was fine,Googled,posted to and read the Linux forums,read magazines,books,etc.This had been going on for a few days and I was becoming frustrated and then decided to browse this forum when I came upon a post with the same problem that contained some suggestions on possibly resolving the problem.After reading 'darthtux's' reply:
/etc/resolv.conf only has to contain one line containing the IP address of your ISP's primary dns nameserver like this"
just replace the x's with the ip address. Get the secondary and add it in its own line. Just in case their primary is having trouble.
It dawned on me to recheck my kppp configuration. I went to my ISP website and got the primary and secondary DNS address,used another computer to get the info but you can call your ISP's tech support and get it also.Opened kppp and hit the config button on the gui selected Accounts highlited account name then hit Edit>DNS>Manual,type in DNS IP address>OK then you should be ready to "surf the web".Well anyway I hope that will do it.I am currently posting this reply on the machine that I made the the simple edit of adding the DNS IP address to get my browser(Konquerer) online.
Thanks for the enlightenment and inspiration to go on.