I tried Brasero first, but it indicated there was an error, and that there might be corrupt files. (I should have md5sum'ed the CD, turns out it burnt fine, but I digress)
I think you're right smeezekitty, that I dd'ed to the wrong file, I am noticing there is a cdrom1 (as opposed to cdr1) file, or pointer, there. Using the dd with /dev/cdrom1 as the output in the command, I get a 'Read-only filesystem' response. Not quite what I had hoped, but makes more sense than what I was seeing previously. After I back everything up (just in case) I'll delete the cdr1 file and reboot.
After looking into the dd command, it may have been that I had used it before to write an iso from an existing CD, not the other way around, I don't see too much when in what I was trying to do when researching it. Cdrecord seems to work just fine, thanks by the way. (I'll repost if I find a way for dd to work)