1. here's a good crontab ref http://www.adminschoice.com/crontab-quick-reference
2. you'll need to decide how to access the remote server: I recommend scp with ssh auth-keys for automated processes.
3. try to avoid enabling the root acct for remote access, even on a lan.
4. have a go and show us what you've got if you have issues.
5. post your distro versions (both servers)
6. don't use your email addr as your handle; a spam bot will pick it up and start spamming you and us....
If you ask the Mods (via the Report button) they should be able to help you change that without losing your acct.
Some good links