Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Something really strange has begun to happen. I use Mandrake 10.1 with K.D.E. 3.2. Lately, when browsing the Web with Opera, K.D.E. has been crashing and returning to the log in screen (not the graphical one, the text-based one) and then re-starting itself. At the moment it is only occurring when I'm using Opera and browsing the Web. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a known problem/bug, or has something gone wrong?
I've never experienced this problem before. Up until now, Linux has been rock solid. It's never flinched. For some reason, it's started to crash when browsing the web with Opera. Might it be something to do with memory? I know that Opera takes up a lot, and when it crashes, the system seems to be straining (hard disc constantly accessed, mouse and keyboard input delayed). I looked at the logs, and nothings seems out of the ordinary for the two days in which Linux crashed. To be honest, though, I wouldn't know what to look for. Is there anything in Linux similar to Microsoft's ScanDisc tool? A way to run a scan on vitals would be helpful.
There's no such thing as scandisk to the best of my
knowledge, but the file-systems there days are very
robust. I'd first be looking at what changed? Did you
upgrade anything recently before those problems
I've not upgraded anything. I did install a FreeType thing a few days ago. The problem grows ever more strange, though. I've narrowed it down to when I use the search feature on the Opera toolbar to search for something. That is when K.D.E. crashes. Why on earth would a FreeType modification cause K.D.E. to crash only when I use a specific feature of Opera? I don't know if I could reverse the FreeType modification I made without ruining the whole thing, as it's tied to the displaying of text. If I did remove it, I'd have blurred fonts again.
try logging in as a different user and see if it crashes. I've had weird things happen with firefox. if it doesn't crash as another user, I would delete .opera or at least move it to opera.old and get ur bookmarks or whatever out of there
.opera contains my plug-ins as well as bookmarks etc. If I removed them, Opera wouldn't be able to work. If all else fails, I'll attempt a clean install of Opera, although I'm not sure that the problem is caused by something faulty in Opera. At the moment I am trying to find out if it has happened to any other Opera user.