Linux - NewbieThis Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question?
If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Hello! I have a project I would like to work on and I have no idea where to start. I would like to set up a linux box that boots up and loads up a web browser fullscreen with no buttons and it needs to load my webpage. The only thing I would like to have on the screen is the website itself almost like a screensaver. I would also like to remotely log into this machine so that I can administrate it from my office.
I have no idea where to start, here are my main questions:
1. What would be the best distro of linux for this.
2. How would I get the web browser to load full screen with no buttons, no status bar, ect...
3. I am sure there are a ton of Pacakages that do not need to be installed and I would like this machine to boot as fast as possible. So if anyone knows, what are the only packages I would need?
4. Would I be able to change the boot screen to just show my logo as the machine boots up?
5. Is there any way I could check the status on this machine? I mean is there a way for me to make sure everything is running smoothly and that my website is on the screen without physically going to the machine to look at it?
I hope I didn't ask too many questions at one time, I figured if I got everything out in one post it would be easier for people to understand exactly what I want to do.