Well combined with other efforts,
and changing the workgroup name to the name used by the rest of the windows computers,
and using this as a check list to find out if any of it was needed.
The workgroup name change was critical.
I had previously aquired a few such scripts, and was trying to go through the manual to modify them
to my likeing.
One thing that did not work was to put the address of the second computer, the computer
tried to get to the net via that address, and could not get to the 'net.
This was my fourth try at getting a script and modifying it.
And I had to do some changes to the network,
sorry I just was trying things so I did not document what I did, but it helped by
changing something else to the xp network name, via a windowed box that I found by
poking around the network settings section.
Yeah, I can see that this will not really help, but I tried.