I want to configure postfix with clamav , Mailscanner etc . Here is my configuration procedure from http://www.yourhowto.org/:
plz read the configuration file and plz answer my one question .
Fuction: Dovecot is an open source IMAP and POP3 server for Linux/UNIX-like systems, written with security primarily in mind.
Fuction: An open source anti-virus
Fuction: Postfix attempts to be fast, easy to administer, and secure, while at the same time being sendmail compatible enough to not upset existing users
Fuction: Scans all incomming and outgoing e-mails useing the system's anti-virus.
fuction: Webmail client, used to check e-mails from anywhere in world, via the internet, like gmail or hotmail
1. Edit the /etc/dovecot.conf file to include the following line (if you want all services running then include them all, if only one then include only the one running that you want)
'protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s'
2. start/restart the dovecot server by the command
thats how simple setting up a mail server on 'fedora core 4' is now for the webmail client, Ilohamail.
3. Now download the latest version from, http://blog.ilohamail.org/
then make the folder /usr/lib/ilohamail/ and unzip the downloaded file into the folder you just created.
4. Once you have unpacked it, then place a link in the root directory of the apache web server.
'ln -s /usr/lib/ilohamail/IlohaMail/source/ /var/www/html/ilohamail'
5. Now change the ownership of the folder so people surfing the web can access it.
'chown apache:apache -R /usr/lib/ilohamail/IlohaMail/source/'
and allow them full access rights
'chmod -R a+rwx /usr/lib/ilohamail/IlohaMail/source/'
6. make sure that apache is running
7. Then go to http://ip-address-of-your-machine/ilohamail/
8. Once at this site you may notice there is an option of language, service (imap/pop3) and server, if you don't want your clients to be able to change or see these options then edit the file
the file it's self should have plenty of instructions on what to do.
9. Next we need to install the anti virus software
the rpm's can be downloaded from
or the source can be downloaded from
10. then we install it
rpm -ivh clamav-*
11. once the anti-virus is install then we need to install the MailScanner software the RPM along with the source files can be found at
12. now get ready to install the mailscanner, this is going to take a long time.
gzip -d MailScanner-4.46.2-2.rpm.tar.gz
tar -xvg MailScanner-4.46.2-2.rpm.tar
13. In your MailScanner.conf file in /etc/MailScanner, there are 5 settings you need to change. The settings are:
Run As User = postfix
Run As Group = postfix
Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/hold
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/incoming
MTA = postfix
14. You will need to ensure that the user "postfix" can write to
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming and /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
# chown postfix.postfix /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
# chown postfix.postfix /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
15. Edit file /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
Virus Scanners = clamav
16. now we need to edit the postfix main.cf file,
go all the way to the bottom of the file and add the following
header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks
17. In the file /etc/postfix/header_checks add this line:
18. now change the MTA alternatives --config mta
19. Now for the management of these programs, webmin is a great tool and all of these programs have webmin modules.
ClamAV webmin module - http://wbmclamav.labs.libre-entreprise.org/
MailScanner - http://sourceforge.net/projects/msfrontend/
20. Webmin configuration information:
Full path to MailScanner program:
Full path and filename of MailScanner config file:
Full path to the MailScanner bin directory:
Full path and filename for the MailScanner pid file:
Command to start MailScanner:
Command to stop MailScanner:
21. Set the servers to run on startup
chkconfig dovecot on
chkconfig MailScanner on
chkconfig postfix on
chkconfig clamd on
Now my question is :
when i install clamav Rpm package then is it necessary to manualy edited the clamav configuration file ? or it is running wilt mailscanner automatically ? Here the author said , just install clamav rpm . But according his comment i can't get any "clamd" file . Plz help me how i install clamav with postfix .......................Thx..........